Digital Image Analysis of a Complex Turbulent Wake
An analysis of a complex turbulent wake generated by a pair of closely-spaced, unequal diameter circular cylinders, oriented spanwise to a uniform stream has been carried out using digital image analysis of cine pictures of the flow. The study was confined to the near cylinder development portion of the flow where large coherent structures control the motion. The intermittent nature of the wake and the turbulent/non-turbulent interface characteristics are described.
KeywordsFlow Visualization Digital Image Analysis Vortex Street Interface Position Turbulent Wake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Budny, R.S., Kawall, J.G. and Keffer, J.F., 1979. Vortex street evolution in the wake of a circular cylinder, 2nd Symp. on Turb. Shear Flows, London.Google Scholar
- 4.Dumas, R., 1982, Private communication.Google Scholar
- 5.Hernan, M. and Jimenez, J., 1979, The use of digital image analysis in optical flow measurement, Proc. 2nd Symp. Turb. Shear Flows, London.Google Scholar
- 7.Kawall, J.G. Shokr, M and Keffer, J.F., 1983, A digital technique for the simultaneous measurement of streamwise and lateral velocities in turbulent flows to be published.Google Scholar
- 8.Manget, G.K. and Keffer, J.F., 1983, Image analysis of a round turbulent jet, to be published.Google Scholar
- 10.Nagib, H., Corke, T., Heiland, K. and Way, J., 1978, Computer aided analysis of flow visualization records obtained by smoke-wire technique, Proc. Dyn. Flow Conf., Baltimore.Google Scholar