High Resolution Numerical Simulations of the Tornadic Region Within a Mature Thunderstorm
Recent multiple Doppler radar observations of supercell thunderstorms have documented that a particular dynamic structure consistently develops when a storm enters its tornadic phase. This structure is characterized by a downdraft outflow which wraps around the center of storm circulation at low levels and an associated distortion from a single cell to a two-cell up-draft structure (Brandes, 1978; Lemon and Doswell, 1979). In this study we investigate the evolution of a storm’s tornadic phase through high resolution numerical simulations initiated within the central portion of a 3D cloud model mature thunderstorm.
KeywordsVortex Radar Vorticity Cyclone Lution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Browning, K. A. 1968 The organization of severe local storms. Weather, 23, 429–434Google Scholar
- Danielson, E. F. 1975 A conceptual theory of tornadogenesis based on macro, meso-and microscale processes. Preprints Ninth Conf. on Severe Local Storms. Norman, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 376–383Google Scholar
- Golden, J. H. 1976 Comparison of Union City tornado life cycle with Florida keys waterspout life cycle. NOAA Tech Memo ERL NSSL-80, 135–140Google Scholar
- Huff, F. A., Hiser, H. W., and Bigler, S. G. 1954 Study of an Illinois tornado using radar, synoptic weather and field survey data. State of Illinois Water Survey Div., 73 ppGoogle Scholar
- Klemp, J. B., Wilhelmson, R. B. and Ray, P. S. 1981 Observed and numerically simulated structure of a mature supercell thunderstorm. To appear in J. Atmos. Sci Google Scholar
- Ray, P. S., Johnson, B. C., Johnson, K. W., Bradberry, J. S., Stephens, J. J., Wagner, K. K., Wilhelmson, R. B. and Klemp, J. B. 1981 The morphology of several tornadic storms on 20 May 1977. To appear in J. Atmos. Sci Google Scholar
- Rotunno, R. 1981 Numerical simulation pertaining to the multiple vortex phenomenon. Proceedings of Joint IUTAM/IUGG Symposium on intense atmospheric vortices, Reading, England 14-17 July 1981Google Scholar