The Treatment of Hyperlipaemia by Gemfibrozil: A Comparison with Clofibrate
Gemfibrozil is structurally related to Clofibrate and was investigated because of its greater hypotriglyceridaemic activity in the rat. In this species there are some major differences in pharmacological response between the two compounds. In contrast to Clofibrate, gemfibrozil has no effect on total plasma cholesterol or fibrogen, but does increase HDL-cholesterol (l).
KeywordsCholesterol Half Life Triglyceride Fibrinogen Carni Tine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Maxwell RE (1981) Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 3.Maxwell RE, Nawrocki JW, Uhlendorf PD (1982) Some differences in effects of Clofibrate, bezafibrate, cholestyramine and ML-236B on lipid metabolism in rats Res. & Clin. Forum 4: (2) In PressGoogle Scholar
- 4.Gorringe J (1982) Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 5.Manninen V, Malkonen M, Nikkila EA (1982) Effect of gemfibrozil on blood levels of high density lipoprotein subfractions HDL2 and HDL3. Res. & Clin. Forum 4: (2) In PressGoogle Scholar
- 6.Howard AN (1982) UnpublishedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Marks J, Howard AN (1982) A comparative study of gemfibrozil and Clofibrate in the treatment of hyperlipidaemia in patients with maturity-onset diabetes. Res. & Clin. Forum 4: (2) In PressGoogle Scholar
- 9.Manninen V, Malkonen M, Eisalo A (1982) Gemfibrozil treatment of dyslipidaemias in renal failure with uremia or in nephrotic syndrome. Res. & Clin. Forum -4: (2) In PressGoogle Scholar