Platelets and Atherogenesis in Normal and von Willebrand Disease Pigs
There is increasing evidence that platelet-arterial wall interaction is an important step in the genesis of arteriosclerotic lesions (1). The genesis of these lesions may involve the following factors (2): (a) continued endothelial injury; (b) adherence and aggregation of platelets to damaged endothelial cells or to exposed subendothelial tissue; (c) local release of platelet constituents, including a mitogenic protein (platelet-derived growth factor) that stimulates growth of cultured smooth muscle cells, and passage of such platelet constituents into the underlying arterial wall; (d) migration of smooth muscle cells through the internal elastic lamina into the intima and platelet-mediated intimal proliferation of smooth muscle cells; (e) formation of a connective tissue matrix by the smooth muscle cells through synthesis and secretion of collagen, elastic fiber proteins, and glycosaminoglycans; and (f) accumulation of intracellular and extracellular lipids.
KeywordsAortic Segment Intimal Proliferation Arteriosclerotic Lesion Ristocetin Cofactor Aortic Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fuster V (1981) Role of platelets in the development of atherosclerotic disease and possible interference with platelet inhibitor drugs. Scand J Haematol 27(Suppl. 38):1Google Scholar
- 7.Getty R (1965) The gross and microscopic occurrence and distribution of spontaneous atherosclerosis in the arteries of swine. In Comparative Atherosclerosis: The Morphology of Spontaneous and Induced Atherosclerotic Lesions in Animals and Its Relation to Human Disease. J. C. Roberts, Jr., and R. Straus, editors. Harper & Row Publishers, Inc., New York, 11–20Google Scholar
- 9.Fuster V, Fass DN, Kaye MP, Josa M, Zinsmeister AR, Bowie EJW (in press) Arteriosclerosis in normal and von Willebrand pigs: Long-term prospective study and aortic transplantatibn study. Circ ResGoogle Scholar
- 11.Fuster V, Bowie EJW, Josa M, Kaye MP, Fass DN (1979) Atherosclerosis in normal and von Willebrand pigs: cross-aortic transplantation study (abstr) Thromb and Haemost 42(1):425Google Scholar
- 12.Fuster V, Dewanjee MK, Kaye MP, Fass DN, Bowie EJW (1980) Evaluation of platelet deposition following selective endothelial injury of the carotid artery in normal and von Willebrand pigs (abstr) Circulation 62(Suppl. 3):98Google Scholar