Current Japanese Situations on Secondary Prevention and Lipid Lowering Drugs
There are multi-center cooperative studies on the evaluation of lipid lowering effects of various drugs, such as clofibrate, pantethine, niceritrol, gamma-oryzanol and probucol. These were carried out with a double-blind design, monitoring the effects for 4 months or longer. All of these drugs were effective in reducing plasma lipid levels with negligible side effects. There are a few small scale primary prevention trials using lipid lowering drugs. The one with anabolic steroid and tocopherol was concluded with encouraging results. The second one used clofibrate. The third one with dextran sulfate is continuing. There is, however, no secondary prevention trial in Japan (Table 1).
KeywordsIschemic Heart Disease Anabolic Steroid Lipid Lowering Drug Dextran Sulfate Lipid Lowering Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.WHO Regional Office for Europe: Myocardial infarction community registers. Public Health Report 5. WHO, Copenhagen, 1977Google Scholar
- 3.Office of Statistics and Information, Jpn Ministry of Health and Welfare ed: Patients Survey 1979. Kosei Tokei Kyokai, Tokyo, 1981 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 4.Bureau of Tuberculosis and Chronic Disease: Jpn Ministry of Health and Welfare: An outline of results from the basic survey on cardiovascular disease. J Jpn Ass for Cerebro-Cardiovascular Dis Control 17: (1) Suppl 1–33, 1982 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.Higgins ITT, Kannel WB, Dawber TR: The electrocardiogram in epidemiological studies, reproducibility, validity, and international comparison. Brit J Prev Soc Med 19: 53–68, 1965Google Scholar
- 7.Matsuzaki T: Risk factors for stroke and myocardial infarction. In: R. Shigiya, Y. Komachi and T. Watanab eds: Nutrition and cardiovascular disease in Japanese. Hoken Dojin Sha, Tokyo, 1976. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 9.Shimamoto T, Komachi Y: Risk factors for cerebral stroke. Sogó Rinsho 27: 47–53, 1978. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 10.Konishi M, Iida M, Shimamoto T et al: Epidemiological and pathological studies of cerebral infarction and myocardial infarction in Japan. J Jpn Atheroscl Soc 8: 455–465, 1980. (in Japanese with English summary)Google Scholar
- 11.The lipid Research Clinic Program Epidemiology Committee: Plasma lipid distributions in selected North American populations: The Lipid Research Clinic Program Prevalence Study. Circulation 60: 427–429, 1979Google Scholar
- 12.Bureau of Nutrition, Jpn Ministry of Health and Welfare ed: Current status of national nutrition 1957. Daiichi Shuppan, Tokyo, 1978Google Scholar