The Raman Spectrum of EuC6: A Clue to Understanding Light Scattering from Stage 1 Alkali Gic’s
The room temperature Raman spectrum of EuC6 has been recorded and is found to exhibit a Fano-broadened band at 1500 ± 5 cm-1 and an additional feature at 1840 ± 10 cm-1. The latter feature is attributed to crystallites of EuC2. The Raman spectrum of EuC6 will be compared with the spectra of LiC6 and MC8, where M = K, Rb and Cs. A model incorporating the static structure factor for phonon scattering and the momentum selection rules in the Raman process will be presented and shown to account for both disorder induced scattering and zone folding effects. We suggest that these effects are merely the extreme cases of a continuous range of phenomena which depend in detail on the degree of order in a given GIC sample.
KeywordsGraphite Carbide Europium Argon Tral
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Dresselhaus, P. C. Eklund and D. D. L. Chung: Mater. Sci. Eng. 31, 141 (1977); M. S. Dresselhaus and G. Dresselhaus: in Physics and Chemistry of Materials with Layered Structures, edited by F. Levy (Dordrecht, Holland, 1978), Vol 5; and references therein.Google Scholar
- 2.S. A. Solin: Physics 99B, 443 (1980) and references therein.Google Scholar
- 5.P. C. Eklund, G. Dresselhaus, M. S. Dresselhaus and J. E. Fischer: Phys. Rev. B 16, 3330 (1977); and references therein.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Horie, M. Maeda, and Y. Kuramoto: Physica 99B, 430 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.H. Miyazaki, T. Hatano, G. Kusunoki, T. Watanabe and C. Horie: Physica B, in press.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Makrini, D. Guerard, P. Laqrange, and A. Herold: Physica 99B5 481 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.D. M. Hwang and D. Guérard: to be published.Google Scholar
- 15.T. Inoshita, K. Nakao and H. Kamimura: J. Phvs. Soc., Jpn. 43, 1237 (1977); 45, 689 (1968).Google Scholar
- 16.D. M. Hwang, M. Utlaut, M. S. Isaacson and S. A. Solin: Phys. Rev. Lett. 43, 822 (1979); Physica 99B, 435 (1980).Google Scholar
- 21.D. Guérard and A. Hérold: C. R. Acad. Sc. Paris Serie C 280, 729 (1975).Google Scholar