Electronic Properties of Graphite Intercalation Compounds
During the past several years the graphite intercalation compounds (GIC) have aroused a great deal of interest in the field of solid state physics. In the present paper a review is given on two topics on the electronic properties of GIC about which intensive studies have been recently made. These are the electronic structures of higher stage GIC and the mechanism of superconductivity in the first stage alkali-metal GIC. In the first part of the present paper (Part I) the first principles non-empirical band structure calculation of higher stage GIC recently done by OHNO, SHIMA and KAMIMURA  is presented, with a particular emphasis being laid on the determination of the non-homogeneous charge distribution along the c-axis. In the second part of the present paper (Part II) the theory of superconductivity of the first stage alkali-metal GIC, C8M, recently developed by TAKADA  is presented. We clarify the long-standing question on why C8M become superconductors, although neither graphite nor the alkali metals are superconducting.
KeywordsOptic Phonon Graphite Layer Band Structure Calculation Graphite Intercalation Compound Total Charge Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Ohno, N. Shima and H. Kamimura: to be published.Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Takada: to be published in J. Phys. Soc. Japan.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Blinowski and C. Rigaux: J. Physique 41, 667 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Shimamura: PhD Thesis (Tohoku University, 1981).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Conroy: J. Chem. Phys. 47, 5307 (1967).Google Scholar
- 11.H. Kamimura, K. Nakao, T. Ohno and T. Inoshita: Physica 99B, 401 (1980).Google Scholar
- 14.N.B. Hannay, T.H. Geballe, B.T. Matthias, K. Andres, P. Schmidt and D. MacNair: Phys. Rev. Lett. 14, 225 (1965).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Kobayashi and I. Tsujikawa: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 46, 1945 (1979).Google Scholar
- 16.Y. Koike, H. Suematsu, K. Higuchi and S. Tanuma: Physica 99B, 503 (1980).Google Scholar
- 19.T. Inoshita: PhD Thesis [University of Tokyo, 1979].Google Scholar
- 24.T. Ohno: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 49, Suppl.A, 903 (1980).Google Scholar