Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Colon and Gastric Cancer
The adjuvant chemotherapy of colorectal and gastric cancer is being actively investigated. Studies of both single antineoplastic agents and combinations of several drugs have been used. In colorectal cancer, single-agent therapy has not resulted in improved survival. Combination chemotherapy studies are at too early a stage to be evaluated. In gastric cancer, single-agent chemotherapy has not been effective as adjunctive treatment to surgery. Combinations of active agents in gastric cancer hold promise as effective surgical adjuvant therapy.
KeywordsGastric Cancer Colorectal Cancer Colon Cancer Adjuvant Chemotherapy Advanced Gastric Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Comis RL, Carter SK (1974) Integration of chemotherapy into combined modality treatment of solid tumors. III. Cancer Treat Rep 63:1863–1868Google Scholar
- 6.Grage TB, Hill GJ, Cornell GN, Frelick RW, Moss SE (1979) Adjuvant chemotherapy in large bowel cancer: Updated analysis of single-agent chemotherapy. In: Jones SE, Salmon SG (eds) Adjuvant therapy of cancer II. Grune & Stratton, New York, pp 587–594Google Scholar
- 7.Higgins GA, Serlin O, Amadeo JH, McElhinney J, Keehn J (1976) Gastric cancer factors in survival. Gastroenterol Surg 10:393–399Google Scholar
- 8.Higgins GA, Lee LE, Dwight RW, Keehn RJ (1978) The case for adjuvant 5-fluorouracil in colorectal cancer. Cancer Clin Trials 1:35–41Google Scholar
- 10.Koyama Y, Kimura T (1978) Preventive chemotherapy after radical operations in stomach cancer. In: Thatcher N (ed) Digestive cancer. Pergamon Press, Oxford (Advances in medical oncology. Research and education, vol IX, pp 255–268)Google Scholar
- 12.Moertel CG (1973) Large bowel. In: Holland JF, Frei E III (eds) Cancer medicine. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, pp 1597–1627Google Scholar
- 15.Piper DW (1978) Stomach cancer. UICC Tech Rep Ser 34:3–26Google Scholar
- 18.Silverberg E (1980) Cancer statistics 1980. CA 30:23–38Google Scholar