Human Hair Pigment: A Mild Isolation Procedure and a Method for Characterization
The first difficulty in beginning a study of hair pigment is to isolate the pigment from the keratin matrix without altering its chemical structure. Our isolation method differs from that of others in that we digest hair enzymatically.
KeywordsHuman Hair Mass Chromatogram Melanin Granule Acid Soluble Protein Hair Pigment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnaud JC, Boré P (1981) Isolation of melanin pigments from human hair. J Cosmet Chem 32:137Google Scholar
- Bolt AG, Interactions between human melanoproteins and chlorpromazine derivatives. Isolation and purification of human melanoprotein from hair and melanoma tissue. In: Life Sciences Vol No 12. Pergamon Press, Oxford, pp 1277–1283Google Scholar
- Funatsu G, Funatsu M (1962) Isolation of melanin granules from dark hair of humans. Agr Biol Chem (Japan) 26:367Google Scholar
- Goddard DR, Michaelis L (1934) A study on keratin. J Biol Chem 106:605Google Scholar
- Laxer G, Whewell CS (1954) The iron content of melanin granules isolated from pigmented mammalian hairs. Chem Ind 127Google Scholar
- Mason HS (1953) The structure of melanins. In: Gordon M (ed) Pigment cell growth. Academic, New York, pp 277–301Google Scholar
- Nicolaus RA, Piatelli M (1965) Progress in the chemistry of natural black pigments. Rend Acc Sci Fis Mat Napoli 32:82Google Scholar
- Nicolaus RA, Piatelli M, Fattorusso E (1964) The structure of melanins and melanogenesis. IV On some natural melanins. Tetrahedron, 20:1163Google Scholar
- Piattelli M, Fattorusso E, Magno S (1961) Identification of 5,6 dihydroxyindole in the enzymatic oxidation of DOPA. Rend Acc Sci Fis Mat Napoli 28:168Google Scholar
- Piattelli M, Fattorusso E, Magno S (1962) Natural melanins. Rend Acc Sci Fis Mat Napoli 29:168Google Scholar
- Reiner E, Bayer FL (1978) Botulism: a pyrolysis-gas-liquid chromatographic study. J Chromat Sci 16:623Google Scholar
- Roy JK, Roy BC (1965) Isolation of some acid soluble protein pigments from dark coloured human hair. J Proc Inst Chem 37:257Google Scholar