The Magnetism of bcc Iron
Part of the Springer Series in Solid-State Sciences book series (SSSOL, volume 29)
In ferromagnetic insulators, and in rare-earth metals, the magnetic properties are associated with definite atomic magnetic moments which exist above the Curie temperature Tc and whose directions become ordered below Tc. Such systems are described quite well by a simple Heisenberg model, and far above Tc, at 1.5Tc say, there is very little correlation between the directions of neighbouring spins. In this lecture we shall discuss the extent to which this picture applies to ferromagnetic transition metals and to iron in particular. There is one essential difference between the transition metals and the insulators and rare earths. In the latter case the atomic moments are associated with electrons localized on the atoms whereas in transition metals the magnetic moments arise from itinerant 3d electrons. We must therefore consider the following points:
The concept of well-defined atomic moments above Tc in itinerant- electron systems.
The degree of short-range order above Tc.
KeywordsDispersion Curve Exchange Parameter Heisenberg Model Paramagnetic State Local Moment
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L.M. Roth, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No. 39, 473 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.D.G. Pettifor, J. Magn. Magn. Met. 15–18, 847 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.J. Hubbard, to be published.Google Scholar
- 12.D.M. Edwards, J. Magn. Magn. Mat. 15–18, 262 (1980).Google Scholar
- 13.P.J. Schurer, K.W. Maring, F. Van der Woude and G.A. Sawatzky, Int. J. Magnetism 4, 291 and 297 (1973).Google Scholar
- 14.B.L. Gyorffy and G.M. Stocks, in Electrons in Disordered Metals and at Metallic Surfaces, edited by P. Phariseau, B.L. Gyorffy and L. Shiere (Plenum, New York 1979).Google Scholar
- 16.H. Hasegawa, Solid State Commun., to be published.Google Scholar
- 20.B.S. Shastry, D.M. Edwards and A.P. Young, to be published.Google Scholar
- 21.Als-Neilsen, J., in Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena, Vol.5A, edited by C. Domb and M.S. Green pp.139–145.Google Scholar
- 24.Report on Panel Discussion on Itinerant Electron Magnetism, Conference on Physics of Transition Metals, Leeds, 1980 (Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. to be published).Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1981