Magnetic Resonance Studies of Soliton Diffusion in Polyacetylene
It has been known for many years that paramagnetic centers are present in conjugated polymers . Recently, a renewal of interest in the properties of these centers has arisen from NMR  and ESR [3–9] experiments in undoped polyacetylene, (CH)X, and a proposed explanation for the uncharged spins in terms of a bond alternation domain wall (topological soliton) model [10, 11]. In this paper we will review our previous room temperature NMR results , present new results as a function of oxygen exposure and temperature variation, attempt to reconcile the apparent differences between the NMR and ESR data, and compare our results to the soliton theory.
KeywordsMicrowave Anisotropy Soliton Broom Polyacetylene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Salem, The Molecular Orbital Theory of Conjugated Systems (W. A. Benjamin, New York, 1966), pp. 516–523.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Abragam, The Principles of Nuclear Magnetism (Oxford Press, Oxford, 1961), Chap. IX.Google Scholar
- 13.F. Devreux, J. P. Boucher and M. Nechtschein, J. Phys. (Paris) 35, 271 (1974).Google Scholar
- 14.Y. Tomkiewicz and N. Shiren, private communication.Google Scholar
- 15.K. Holczer, J. P. Boucher, F. Devreux and M. Nechtschein, submitted to Phys. Rev. B.Google Scholar