On the Efficient Solution of Nonlinear Finite Element Systems
We consider variational problems resp. variational inequalities which correspond to quasilinear elliptic boundary value problems without resp. with linear constraints. Finite element discretization leads to nonlinear algebraic systems resp. linearly constrained nonlinear programming problems. Efficient algorithms are given for the solution of these problems. Convergence is shown and some numerical results are presented. Applications are for the unrestricted case all problems which are given by a minimization problem and for problems with constraints e. g. elastic-plastic torsion or elastic contact problems.
KeywordsAssure Rosen Nite Mafu
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cottle, R. W., Giannessi, F. and J.-L. Lions (eds.), Variational Inequalities and Complementarity Problems, John Wiley, Chichester 1980Google Scholar
- 4.Glowinski, R., J. L. Lions and R. Tremolieres, Analyse Numerique Des Inéquations Variationelles, Dunod, Paris 1976Google Scholar
- 5.Hackbusch, W., private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hackbusch, W., On the convergence of multi-grid iterations, Report 79–4, Universität zu Köln, to appear in Beiträge Num. Math. 9Google Scholar
- 7.Kikuchi, N. and J. T. Oden, Contact Problems in Elasticity, TICOM Report 79–8, The University of Texas at Austin (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Mittelmann, H. D., On the efficient solution of nonlinear finite element equations I, to appear in Num. Math.Google Scholar
- 11.Mittelmann, H. D., On the efficient solution of nonlinear finite element equations II, submitted to Num.Math.Google Scholar
- 13.Rockafellar, R. T., Lagrange multipliers and variational inequalities, in Google Scholar
- 14.Scarpini, F., A numerical approach to the solution of some variational inequalities, in Google Scholar