Basophilic Inclusions in Skeletal Muscle from two Cases of Hypothyroid Myopathy
We have been able to examine muscular tissue from two females showing hypothyroid myopathy. Under light microscopy, certain fibres contained basophilic inclusions. Histoenzymology showed that these inclusions were found exclusively in certain type 1 fibres. Ultrastructural examination showed that the inclusions were accumulations without a limiting membrane. These accumulations contained straight fibrils which were randomly distributed. Their mean diametre was 70 Å. The neighbouring myofibrils were usually unaltered. We have found similar images described for five cases of hypothyroid myopathies. They are more common in myocardium than in skeletal muscle. These images are similar to those observed in some cases of type IV glycogenosis and Lafora’s disease.
Key wordshypothyroid myopathy basophilic inclusions myofibrils electron microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asboe-Hansen G, Iversen K, Wickham R (1952) Malignant exophtalmus. Muscular changes and thyrotrophin content in serum. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 11:376–399Google Scholar
- 4.Ewing SL, Rosai J (1974) Basophilic (mucoid) degeneration of skeletal muscle. Arch Pathol Lab Med 97:60–62Google Scholar
- 6.Godet-Guillain J, Fardeau M (1970) Hypothyroid myopathy. Histological and ultrastructural study of an atrophic form. In: Walton JN, Canal N, Scarlato G (eds) International Congress on Muscle diseases. Excerpta Medica (Amsterdam) 199:512–515Google Scholar
- 7.Iversen K, Asboe-Hansen G, Carlsen F (1953) Electron microscopy of certain muscles lesions in patients with pituitary-thyroid disorders. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 14:177–180Google Scholar
- 8.Karpati G, Carpenter S, Wolff LS, Sherwin A (1969) A peculiar polysaccharide accumulation in muscle in a case of cardioskeletal myopathy. Neurol 19:553–564Google Scholar
- 10.Meyenburg HV (1929) Die quergestreifte Muskulatur. In: Henke F, Lubarsch O (Hrsg) Springer, Berlin, Handbuch der speziellen pathologischen Anatomie und Histologie Bd IX/I, S 406Google Scholar