Comments on the Carcinogenic, Mutagenic, and Teratogenic Properties of Anticancer Drugs
Relevance of the carcinogenic effects of anticancer agents has arisen in the context of three circumstances: (a) when patients who have a favorable outlook without treatment receive chemotherapy, (b) when several alternate therapies with varying carcinogenic potential are available, and (c) when considering the introduction of a new drug into clinical investigation and/or clinical practice. Teratogenic effects require special attention when dealing with women in their reproductive years. Techniques to evaluate the mutagenic effects have opened up new areas of research and will be increasingly applied to the study of anticancer drugs.
KeywordsLymphoma Radium Sarcoma Melphalan Myeloma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adamson RH, Krolikowski FJ, Correa P, Sieber SM, Dalgard DW (1977) Carcinogenicity of 1-methyl-l-nitrosourea in nonhuman primates. J Natl Cancer Inst 59:415–419Google Scholar
- 2.Adamson RH, Sieber SM (1977) Carcinogenic potential of cancer chemotherapy agents in man. Cancer Bull 29:179–183Google Scholar
- 6.Greene MH, Boice JD, Keehn RJ, Higgins GA, Fraumeni JF (1979) Late effects of low dose adjuvant chemotherapy in colorectal cancer. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res and Am Soc Clin Oncol 20:413Google Scholar
- 8.Muggia F, Catane R, Lee YJ, Rozencweig M (1979) Factors responsible for therapeutic success in osteosarcoma: A critical analysis of adjuvant trial results. In: Salmon S, Jones SE (eds) Adjuvant therapy in man. Elsevier/North-Holland, Amsterdam, pp 383–390Google Scholar
- 11.Scott D, Bridges BA, Sobels FH (1977) Progress in genetic toxicology. Elsevier/North-Hol- land, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 14.Sugimura T, Matsushima T, Sawamura M, Seino Y, Yahagi T, Nagao M (1978) Predication of risk of a second tumor and use of the mutation test for monitoring improvement of drugs. In: Carter SK, Goldin A, Kuretani K, Mathe G, Sakurai Y, Tsukagoshi S, Umezawa H (eds) Advances in cancer chemotherapyGoogle Scholar
- 15.Valagussa P, Kenda R, Fossati Bellani F, Franchi F, Banfi A, Rilke F, Bonadonna G (1979) Incidence of second malignancies in Hodgkin’s disease (HD) after various forms of treatment. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res and Am Soc Clin Oncol 20:360Google Scholar