A Review of Clinical Studies of Pepleomycin
Pulmonary toxicity was less frequent in pepleomycin treatment of squamous cell carcinoma than in bleomycin treatment. The tumor-regressing effect appeared at about day 10 of pepleomycin treatment, and at about day 21 of bleomycin treatment. The cumulative dose of pepleomycin to complete remission was smaller than that of bleomycin. Pepleomycin is effective against bleomycin-sensitive malignancies: squamous cell carcinoma and Hodgkin’s disease. It is more effective than bleomycin against lymph node metastases. Pepleomycin may have a broader antitumor spectrum: prostatic carcinoma responded.
KeywordsSquamous Cell Carcinoma Neck Cancer Skin Cancer Metastatic Lymph Node Malignant Lymphoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ichikawa T (1976) Studies of bleomycin; discovery of its clinical effect, combination treatment with bleomycin and radiotherapy, side effects, and long-term survival. GANN Monogr Cancer 19:99–115Google Scholar
- 5.Ikeda S, Miyasato H, Nakayama H, Kobayashi Y, Tajima K (1979) Clinical trial of pepleomycin for the malignant skin tumors. Jpn Cancer Clin 25:677–687Google Scholar
- 6 a.
- 7.Majima H, Oguro M, Takagi T (1979) Preclinical trial of NK631 of malignant lymphoma. Cancer Chemother 6:401–404Google Scholar
- 8.Matsuda A, Yoshioka O, Yamashita T, Ebihara K, Umezawa H, Takeuchi T, Miura T, Katayama K, Yokoyama M, Nagai S (1978) Fundamental and clinical studies on new bleomycin analogs. Recent Results Cancer 63:191–210Google Scholar
- 11.Sekiya T, Kawabe Y, Ito A, Kaneda T, Suzuki T, Shiraishi T (1979) A joint study of NK631 treatment of head and neck cancers. Cancer Chemother 6:777–784Google Scholar
- 13.Tanaka W (1977) Development of new bleomycins with potential clinical utility. Jpn J Antibiot [suppl] 30:41–48Google Scholar
- 14.Ueno T, Shimizu M, Michi K, Ishibashi K, Kohama G (1973) Klinische Erfahrungen iiber die Behandlung mit Bleomycin von 551 Fallen der Mundhohlenkarzinome in Japan. Bull Tokyo Med Dent Univ 62:117–126Google Scholar
- 15.Umezawa H (1976) Bleomycin; discovery, chemistry, and action. GANN Monogr Cancer Res 19:3–36Google Scholar
- 16.Yokoyama M, Sato K, Wakui A, Saito T (1979) Phase I and phase II study of new bleomycin analogs - NK5033 and NK631. Cancer Chemother 6:749–758Google Scholar