Radiochemotherapy of Postoperative Minimal Residual Disease in Neuroblastoma
Two-year survival of neuroblastoma patients has not been substantially improved in the last 20 years, either in localized and regional disease or in metastatic tumors (Tab. 1) [1, 16, 19, 23]. As in other tumors of childhood the anatomic extent of the disease is the main prognostic factor (Fig. 1), but host-tumor interrelations seem to be much more decisive in neuroblastoma  than the ability of chemotherapeutic agents to eradicate microscopic foci of metastatic deposits as they do in Wilm’s tumor and soft-tissue sarcoma. Thus, guidelines for treatment of postoperative minimal residual disease have been found in supervision of the urinary level of the biochemical markers of neuroblastoma by serial assays  and in the reappraisal of the various factors influencing survival [1, 4, 6, 9, 12, 23]. Age at diagnosis is the most prominent of these factors (Fig. 2), and infants under 1 year of age have a surprisingly good prognosis compared to children of 1 year or more, whether disease is localized or widespread.
KeywordsMinimal Residual Disease Actuarial Survival Neuroblastoma Patient Anatomic Extent Main Prognostic Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Evans, A. E., Gerson, J. G., Schnaufer, L.: Spontaneous regression of neuroblastoma. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 44, 49–54 (1976).Google Scholar
- 15.Labrosse, E. H., Belehradek, K., Barski, G.: Cytotoxicity of oxydation products from L-dopa. Specificity for neuroblastoma cells in culture. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (to be published). (1978).Google Scholar
- 18.Stella, J. G., Schweisguth, O., Schlienger, M.: Neuroblastoma. A study of 144 cases treated in the Institut Gustave Roussy over a period of 7 years. Am. J. Roentgenol. 108, 324–332 (1970).Google Scholar
- 21.Zucker, J. M.: Retrospective study of 462 neuroblastomas treated between 1950 and 1970. Maandschr. Kindergeneesk. 42, 369–385 (1974).Google Scholar
- 23.Zucker, J. M., Hesse, C.: Prognostic factors in neuroblastoma. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Neuroblastoma: Biological Bases and Therapeutic Perspectives. Genova, 8–9 July 1977 (to be published) (1978).Google Scholar