The Role of Hormones in the Modern Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
In this chapter an attempt will be made to define the significance and role of hormonal treatment of breast cancer. This type of treatment can no longer be used alone and it should be considered in the general perspective of a resolute attempt to utilize all existing biological and pharmacologic information available for the improvement of patient care. This is not a complete review of the subject but rather a chapter in the nomenclature and critical evaluation of methods of treatment now available to a “task force” with ambitious therapeutic aims. Recent progress in the treatment of Hodgkin’s disease, leukemia, osteogenic sarcoma, and of other tumor types has provided the encouragement for a renewed and concerted attack on breast cancer, a disease which affects 1 out of every 20 women and has a mortality rate of probably over 75% which has practically remained unchanged in the last 50 years.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Estrogen Receptor Advanced Breast Cancer Cytotoxic Chemotherapy Mammary Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cooperative Breast Cancer Group: Progress report: results of studies by the Cooperative Breast Cancer Group 1959–60. Cancer Chemother. Rep. 11, 109–141 (1961).Google Scholar
- 6.Groupe Europeen du Cancer du Sein: Le traitement hormonal du cancer du sein en phase avancée. Comparaison entre le propionate de testosterone et la combinaison propionate de testosterone-delta-I-testololactone. Rev. franç. Et. clin. biol. 9, 88–90 (1964).Google Scholar
- 9.MCGUIRE, W.L., CARBONE, P.P., VOLLMER, E.P.: Estrogen Receptors in Human Breast Cancer. New York: Raven Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- 10.STAQUET, M., TAGNON, M., KENIS, Y., BONADONNA, G., CARTER, S.K., SOKAL, G., TROUET, A., GHIONE, M., PRAGA, C., LENAZ, L., KARIM, O.S.: EORTC International Symposium. Adriamycin Review. Medikon, Ghent: European Press, 1974.Google Scholar
- 11.STOLL, B.A.: Mammary Cancer and Neuroendocrine Therapy. London: Butterworths, 1974.Google Scholar
- 12.TAGNON, H.J.: Clinical results with hormones in disseminated mammary cancer. In: Chemotherapy of Cancer. PLATTNER, P.A. (ed.). New York: Elsevier, 1964.Google Scholar