The response of plants to saline environments is of interest to people of many disciplines. In agriculture the problem of salinity becomes more severe every year as the non-saline soils and the non-saline waters become more intensively and more extensively exploited. Further expansion of agriculture must consider the cultivation of saline soils and the use of water with a relatively high content of soluble salts. Moreover, industrial development in many countries is causing severe water pollution, especially of rivers, and mismanagement in agriculture often induces secondary salinization of soils and sources of irrigation water. From the point of view of agriculture it is, therefore, of the utmost importance to know the various responses of plants to salinity and to understand the nature of the damage caused by salinity to agricultural crops.
KeywordsIrrigation Water Salt Tolerance Saline Soil Saline Condition Mineral Nutrition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boyko, H. (Ed.): Salinity and aridity. The Hague: Junk Publ. 1966.Google Scholar
- Epstein, E.: Mineral nutrition of plants: principles and perspectives. New York: John Wiley and Sons 1972.Google Scholar
- Greenway, H.: Salinity, plant growth and metabolism. J. Aust. Inst. Agr. Sc. Vol. 1973, March., 24–34 (1973).Google Scholar
- Hadas, A., Swartzendruber, D., Rijtema, P.E., Fuchs, M., Yaron, B. (Eds.): Physical aspects of soil water and salts in ecosystems. Ecological Studies, Vol. 4. Berlin-Heidelberg- New York: Springer 1973.Google Scholar
- Levitt, J.: Response of plants to environmental stresses. New York: Academic Press 1972.Google Scholar
- Meiri, A., Shalhevet, J.: Crop growth under saline conditions. In: Yaron, B., Danfors, E., Vaadia, Y. (Eds.): Ecological Studies, Vol.5, pp.277–290. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer 1973.Google Scholar
- Strogonov, B.P.: Physiological basis of salt tolerance of plants. Jerusalem: I.P.S.T. 1964.Google Scholar
- Strogonov, B.P., Kabanov, V.V: Salt tolerance of plants. In: Kovda, V., Hagan, R.M., van den Berg, C. (Eds.): International sourcebook on irrigation and drainage in relation to salinity and alkalinity. Rome: FAO/UNESCO 1964.Google Scholar
- Strogonov, B.P., Kabanov, V.V., Shevjakova, N.L, Palina, L. P., Komizerko, E.I., Popov, B. A., Dostanova, R.KH., Prykhod’ko, L.S.: Struktura i Funktziya Kletok rastenii pri Zusolenii (Structure and function of plant cells under salinity). Moskow: Nauka 1970.Google Scholar
- Talsma, T., Philip, J.R.: Salinity and water use. London: MacMillan 1971.Google Scholar
- Waisel, Y.: Biology of halophytes. New York: Academic Press 1972.Google Scholar