The Minimum Weight Design of Multi-Story Building Frames Based upon the Axial Force-Bending Moment Interaction Yield Condition
Since Foulkes’ pioneering work  in 1953, the problem of the linear minimum weight plastic design of plane frames for building structures consisting of uniform members has been investigated only on the basis of the yield condition in terms of bending moment alone. While several available numerical methods  for the Foulkes problem may be convenient for taking into account various constraints due to architectural and structural requirements, the crucial demerits are firstly that a great number of mostly inactive constraints must all be taken into account for a general formulation, and secondly that several or some finite number of numerical solutions would neither clarify the general intrinsic features of the minimum weight designs nor reveal inherent demerits of the theory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Foulkes, J.: The Minimum Weight Design of Structural Frames. Proc. Royal Society, Ser. A. 228, 482–494 (1953).Google Scholar
- 3.Tanabashi, B., Nakamura, T.: The Minimum Weight Design of a Class of Tall Multi-Story Frames Subjected to Large Lateral Forces. Trans. Architectural Inst. Japan 118, 10–18 (1965); 119, 37–44 (1966). Also Proc. 15th Japan National Congr. Appl. Mech. 1965, pp. 72–81.Google Scholar
- 4.Prager, W.: An Introduction to Plasticity, Addison-Wesley 1959, pp. 51–54, 87, 88.Google Scholar
- 6.Yokoo, Y., Nakamura, T., Saito, K., Keii, M.: The Minimum Weight Design of Frames Based upon the Axial Force-Bending Moment Interaction Yield Condition, Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting of Architectural Inst. Japan, Oct. 1972, pp. 699–700.Google Scholar
- 7.Yokoo, Y., Nakamura, T., Keii, M.: The Minimum Weight Design Chart of a Portal Frame Based upon the Axial Force-Bending Moment Interaction Yield Condition, Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting of A. I. J., Oct. 1972, pp. 701–702.Google Scholar
- 8.Keii, M.: The Minimum Weight Design of Multi-Story Multi-Span Frames Based upon the Axial Force-Bending Moment Interaction Yield Condition. Thesis for M. Eng. (Supervised by Y. Yokoo and T. Nakamura), March 1973.Google Scholar