Postsynaptic Cell Characteristics Determining Membrane Potential Changes
The aim of this paper is to review and re-appraise some of the available experimental information concerning the mechanism by which excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmitters, which are released from presynaptic terminals, evoke membrane potential changes in the postsynaptic cell. These transmitter-induced changes will in turn determine the possible further transmission of a signal, usually in the form of an action potential. Attention will be focussed on the motoneurone in the spinal cord of the cat as representative of a nerve cell in the vertebrate central nervous system. Information from other kinds of experimental material, especially the nerve-muscle preparation will also be considered, as it serves to elucidate processes occurring in the central neurone.
KeywordsPermeability Resis Acetylcholine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boistel, J. and Fatt, P.: Membrane permeability changes during inhibitory transmitter action in crustacean muscle, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 144, 176–191 (1958).Google Scholar
- Coombs, J.S., Eccles, J.C. and Fatt, P.: The specific ionic conductance and the ionic movements across the motoneuronal membrane that produce the inhibitory post-synaptic potential, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 130, 326–373 (1955a).Google Scholar
- Coombs, J.S., Eccles, J.C. and Fatt, P.: Excitatory synaptic action in motoneurones, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 130, 374–395 (1955b).Google Scholar
- Fatt, P. and Katz, B.: An analysis of the end-plate potential recorded with an intracellular electrode, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 115, 320–370 (1951).Google Scholar
- Ginsborg, B.L.: Ion movements in junctional transmission, Pharmacol. Rev. 19, 289–316 (1967).Google Scholar
- Kandel, E.R. and Tauc, L.: Anomalous rectification in the metacerebral giant cells and its consequences for synaptic transmission, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 183, 287–304 (1966).Google Scholar
- Nernst, W.: Die elektromotorische Wirksamkeit der Ionen, Z. physik. Chem. 4, 129–181 (1889).Google Scholar
- Takeuchi, A. and Takeuchi, N.: On the permeability of the end-plate membrane during the action of the transmitter, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 154, 52–67 (1960).Google Scholar
- Ussing, H.H.: Transport of ions across cellular membranes, Physiol. Rev. 29, 127–155 (1949) .Google Scholar