Role of Proteinases and Their Inhibitors in the Regulation of Yeast Metabolism
Further experiments on the tryptophan synthase proteolyzing system of yeast are presented. This report describes the isolation of two proteinases, their identification with the proteinases A and B of Hata et al ., (1967a), the isolation and characterization of macromolecular inhibitors of these enzymes, their substrate specificity with respect to other yeast enzymes, and the role and control of the overall system under different growth conditions. Furthermore, it has been shown that tryptophan synthase inactivating proteinase II is identical to the chitin synthase activating enzyme, while the inhibitor of the tryptophan synthase proteolyzing enzymes is identical to the inhibitor of the chitin synthase activating proteinase described by Cabib and Ulane (1973). Possible mechanisms allowing for the specific proteolytic modification of certain enzymes in response to physiological demands are discussed.
KeywordsHydrolysis Ethyl Albumin Carbohydrate Electrophoresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cabib, E., and Keller, F. A., (1971), J. Biol. Chem., 246, 167.Google Scholar
- Ferguson, A. R., Katsunuma, T., Betz, H., and Holzer, H., (1973), Eur. J. Biochem.32,444.Google Scholar
- Hasilik,A,and Holzer,H.(1973),Biochem.Biophys.Res. Commun,in the press.Google Scholar
- Hata, T.,Hayashi,R.,and Doi, E.,(1967a),Agric. Biol. Chem., 31,150.Google Scholar
- Hata, T.,Hayashi,R.,and Doi, E.,(1967b),Agric. Biol. Chem., 31,357.Google Scholar
- Juni, E. and Heym, G. A.,(1968a), Arch. Biochem.Biophys.,127,79.Google Scholar
- Juni, E. and Heym, G. A.,(1968b), Arch. Biochem.Biophys.,127,89.Google Scholar
- Lenney, J. F., and Dalbec, J. M., (1967), Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 120, 42.Google Scholar
- Manney, T. R., (1968), J. Bacteriol., 96, 403.Google Scholar
- Schött, H. E., (1973), Doctoral Dissertation, University of Freiburg (German).Google Scholar
- Schött, H. E., and Holzer, H., (1973), Eur. J. Biochem.,submitted.Google Scholar