Criteria for Meaning Changes in Theoretical Physics
- 165 Downloads
A theory can be revised by replacing or modifying one or more of its component statements. Such revision is usually thought of as and often is of a straightforward factual claim. The discovery of a tenth planet would require simply that one specification of the solar system’s components be replaced by another in the classical mechanical theory of the solar system’s motion. The concepts used in this theory, e.g. ‘mass’, ‘force’, ‘natural satellite’, seemingly suffer no revision as a consequence of this type of theoretical revision.
KeywordsConceptual Change Material Object Singular Term Cloud Chamber Particle Mechanic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Achinstein, P.: Concepts of science:A philosophical analysis. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press 1968.Google Scholar
- 7.Dretske, F.: Seeing and knowing. Chicago: Chicago University Press 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Feyerabend, P.K.: Explanation, reduction and empiricism. Minnesota studies in the philosophy of science, vol. 3, eds. H. Feigl and G. Maxwell. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press 1962.Google Scholar
- 10.Frege,G.: On sense and reference. Translations from the philosophical writings of Gottleb Frege,P. Geatch and M. Black. Oxford: Basil Black well,1892.Google Scholar
- 12.Hanson, N.R. :Patterns of discovery. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1958Google Scholar
- 14.Jammer, M.: Concepts of mass. New York: Harper and Brothers 1961Google Scholar
- 16.— Ontological and terminological commitment and the methodological commensurability of theories. Read at the Philosophy of Science Assoc., second Biennial Meeting (1970 b).Google Scholar
- 17.Kuhn, T. S.: The structure of scientific revolutions, second ed. Chicago: Chicago University Press 1970.Google Scholar
- 19.— Meaning and scientific change. Mind and cosmos, ed. R. Colodny. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press 1966.Google Scholar
- 21.ToulminS.E., Goodfield, J.: The architecture of matter. New York: Harper Brothers 1962 Google Scholar