Human Interferon in Topical Therapy of Herpetic Keratitis
Dr. Sundmacher has asked me to review our experiences with interferon in topical therapy of herpetic keratitis, and I should like to present this in the light of certain other experiments that explain the evolution of this work, and indeed its slow progress. Finally, I should like to indicate my own guess as to what the future may hold in this field.
Key wordsInterferon dendritic keratitis debridement
SchlüsselwörterInterferon Keratitis dendritica Abrasio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cariteli K, Hirvonen S, Mogensen KE, Pyhala L (1974) Human leucocyte interferon: production, purification, stability and animal experiments. In: Waymouth C (ed) The production and use of interferon for the treatment and prevention of human virus infections; proceedings of a Tissue Culture Association workshop, 1973. In vitro: monograph no. 3. Tissue Culture Association, Rockville Md, p 35–38Google Scholar
- 2.Cantell K, Tommila V (I960) Effect of interferon on experimental vaccinia and herpes simplex virus infections in rabbits’ eyes. Lancet 2: 682–684Google Scholar
- 5.Falcon MG, Jones BR (1977) Herpes simplex keratitis: animal models to guide the selection and optimal delivery of antiviral chemotherapy. J Antimicrob Chemother (suppl) 3A83–89Google Scholar
- 6.Finter NB (1973) Interferons and inducers in vivo. I. Antiviral effects in experimental animals. In: Finter NB (ed) Interferons and interferon inducers. North Holland, Amsterdam, p 295–361Google Scholar
- 10.Jones BR, Coster DJ, Falcon MG, Cantell K (1976) Clinical trials of topical interferon therapy of ulcerative viral keratitis. Infect Dis (suppl) 133: A169–A171Google Scholar
- 14.Jones BR, Coster DJ, Michaud R, Wilhelmus KR (1980) Acyclovir in the management of herpetic keratitis. This vol.Google Scholar
- 18.Neumann-Haefelin D, Sundmacher R, Skoda R, Cantell K (1977) Comparative evaluation of human leukocyte and fibroblast interferon in the prevention of herpes simplex virus keratitis in a monkey model. Infect Immun: 468–470Google Scholar
- 20.Patterson A, Fox AD, Davies G, Maguire CH, Sellors PJ, Wright P, Rice NSC, Cobb B, Jones BR (1963) Controlled studies of IDU in the treatment of herpetic keratitis. Trans Ophthalmol Soc UK 83: 589–591Google Scholar
- 21.Scientific Committee on Interferon. Effect of interferon on vaccination of volunteers. A report to the Medical Research Council. Lancet 1: 873–875Google Scholar
- 22.Sugar J, Kaufman HE, Varaell ED (1973) Effect of exogenous interferon on herpetic keratitis in rabbits and monkeys. Invest Ophthalmol Visual Sci 12: 378–380Google Scholar