Mechanics of Powder Compaction
In this work mechanics of metal powder compaction are investigated using a micromechanics based approach. Close packed arrangements under plane strain condition with two different starting relative densities are considered. These unit cells are studied for basic densification response in the relative density range 0.78 – 0.98. The material parameters are computed from the plane strain form of Shima and Oyane yield function and are found to be in good agreement with the experimental results reported for Copper powder. This method allows us explain the yield function parameters from the mechanics of particle deformation. Initial pore shape, loading path, and material hardening are found to influence the yield function parameters and hence the yield surface at a given relative density. These studies show that the initial and evolving pore structure during densification is responsible for the path dependency of the macroscopic yield behavior.
KeywordsHexagonal Shrinkage Compaction Compressibility Suffix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S.Shima and T.Nakanishi, Computational Plasticity, Current Japanese Materials Research, 7.117–133 (eds. T.Inoue, H.Kitagawa and S.Shima -Elsevier Applied Science, 1990).Google Scholar
- 3.D.T.Gethin, R.W.Lewis, D.V.Tran and J.G.Ashoka, Advances in Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials, 11–27, Compiled by J.M.Capus and R.M. German. (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.D.N.Lee and H.S.Kim, Powder Metallurgy., 35, 275–279. (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.A.L.Gurson and T.J.McCabe, Compaction and Other Consolidation Processes, Advances in Powder Metallurgy & Particulate materials, 2, 133–145, Compiled by J.M. Capus and R.M. German. (1992)Google Scholar
- 15.B.Anil, Ch.PavanaChand and R.Krishnakumar, Int. J. Engg. Anal. Design, (to appear,1996).Google Scholar
- 16.Ch.PavanaChand and R.Krishnakumar, Commu. in Numer. Meth. in Engg., (to appear, 1996).Google Scholar
- 17.Ch.PavanaChand and R.Krishnakumar, Scripta Metall. Mater.(to appear, 1996).Google Scholar
- 18.Ch.PavanaChand and R.Krishnakumar, Acta Metall. Mater.(to appear, 1996).Google Scholar
- 19.R.W.Zimmermann, Trans. ASME, J. App. Mech. 53, 500–504 (1986)Google Scholar