Undifferentiated Carcinoma, Urinary Bladder, Rat
Undifferentiated carcinoma of the urinary bladder has been reported in five studies (Fukushima et al. 1976; Kunze and Schauer 1977; Goodman et al. 1979; NIH 1979; Deerberg et al. 1985), although specifics regarding its gross appearance were not given. Since this neoplasm is generally more invasive than other bladder neoplasms, it is more likely to present as a solid mass infiltrating the bladder wall rather than a papillary or plaque-like lesion limited to the mucosa. All six of the cases reported by Deerberg et al. (1985) had metastases to the lung or lymph nodes; no metastasis was observed in the other studies.
KeywordsSmall cell carcinoma giant cell carcinoma spindle cell carcinoma anaplastic carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chomette G, Tranbaloc P, De Frejacques C, Auriol M (1984) Non-transitional cell malignant tumors of the bladder. Anatomopathological study. Prog Clin Bioi Res 162(A):75–80Google Scholar
- Cohen SM (1983) Pathology of experimental bladder cancer in rodents. In: Bryan GT, Cohen SM (eds) The pathology of bladder cancer, vol 2. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 2–40Google Scholar
- Friedell GH, Nagy GK, Cohen SM (1983) Pathology of human bladder cancer and related lesions. In: Bryan GT, Cohen SM (eds) The pathology of bladder cancer, voll. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- Hicks RM, Wakefield JS, Vlasov NN, Pliss GB (1976) Tumours of the urinary bladder. IARC Sci PubI 6:103–134Google Scholar
- Kahn HJ, Huang SN, Hanna WM, Baumal R, Phillips MJ (1984) Immunohistochemical localization of epidermal and Mallory body cytokeratin in undifferentiated epithelial tumors. Comparison with ultrastructural features. Am J Clin Pat hoI 81:184–191Google Scholar
- Kunze E, Chowaniec J (1990) Tumours of the urinary bladder. In: IARC Sci Publ 99:353Google Scholar
- Kunze E, Schauer A (1977) Morphology, classification and histogenesis of N -butyl-N -(4-hydroxybutyl)nitrosamineinduced carcinomas in the urinary bladder of rats. Z Krebsforsch 88:273–289Google Scholar
- Mostofi FK, Sobin LH, Torloni H (1973) Histological typing of urinary bladder tumors. WHO, Geneva, pp 29–31 NIH (1979) Bioassay of p-cresidine for possible carcinogenicity. Publ no 79–1397. National Cancer Institute, BethesdaGoogle Scholar
- Siegelbaum MH, Edmonds P, Seidmon EJ (1986) Use of immunohistochemistry for identification of primary lymphoma of the bladder. J UroI 136:1074–1076Google Scholar