Carcinogenesis, Urinary Tract, Rat
Animal models are very useful for studying the pathogenesis of human disease. Experimental chemical carcinogenesis in the urinary tract has long attracted attention, with the main focus on the urinary bladder resulting in a number of animal models. This paper covers recent advances in carcinogenesis in the experimental urinary tract, especially in the urinary bladder.
KeywordsUracil Phenobarbital Bleomycin Adriamycin Allopurinol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen SM, Jacobs UB, Arai M, Johansson S, Friedell GH (1976) Early lesions in experimental bladder cancer: experimental design and light microscopic findings. Cancer Res 362:508–2511Google Scholar
- Ertiirk E, Cohen SM, Price JM, Bryan GT (1969) Pathogenesis, histology, and transplantability of urinary bladder carcinomas induced in albino rats by oral administration of N-[4-(5-nitro-2-furyl)-2-thiazolyl] formamide. Cancer Res 29:2219–2228Google Scholar
- Fukushima S (1991) Modification of tumor development in the urinary bladder. In: Ito N, Sugano H (eds) Progress in experimental tumor research. Karger, Basel, pp 154–174Google Scholar
- Fukushima S, Murasaki G, Hirose M, Nakanishi K, Hasegawa R, Ito N (1982) Histopathological analysis of preneoplastic changes during N-butyl-N-(4- hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine-induced urinary bladder carcinogenesis in rats. Acta Pat hoi Jpn 32:242–250Google Scholar
- Imaida K, Fukushima S, Shirai T, Ohtani M, Nakanishi K, Ito N (1983) Promoting activities of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxy toluene on 2-stage urinary bladder carcinogenesis and inhibition of gammaglutamyl transpeptidase-positive foci development in the liver of rats. Carcinogenesis 4:895–899PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ketkar MB, Preussman R, Mohr U (1984) The carcinogenic effect of bis-(2-oxopropyl)nitrosamine on Sprague-Dawley rat. Cancer Lett 2:473–79Google Scholar
- Mori S, Hosono M, Machino S, Nakai S, Makino S, Nakao H, Takeuchi Y, Takeda R, Mural T, Fukushima S (1994) Induction of renal pelvic and ureteral carcinomas by Nbutyl- N-(4-hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine in SD/cShi rats with spontaneous hydronephrosis. Toxicol Pathol 22:373–380PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar