There is a close relationship between impairment of global functioning and mental illness. However valid measurement of global functioning is difficult, and there is no perfect scale. The instruments reviewed in this paper illustrate a range of different approaches. Despite the inherent difficulties the measurement of functioning is a critical domain in mental health evaluative research.
KeywordsInterrater Reliability Global Functioning Instrumental Behaviour Axis Versus Social Maladjustment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Psychiatric Association (1987) Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, 3rd edn revised. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Baker R, Hall JN (1983) Rehabilitation evaluation of Hall and Baker (REHAB). Vine Publishing Ltd, Aberdeen, ScotlandGoogle Scholar
- Baker R, Hall JN (1988) REHAB: a new assessment instrument for chronic psychiatric patients. Schizophr Bull 14: 95–113Google Scholar
- Ciarlo JA, Riehman J (1977) The Denver Community Mental Health Questionnaire: development of a multidimensional program evaluation. In: Coursey RD, Specter GA, Murrell SA, Hunt B (eds) Program evaluation for mental health: methods, strategies and participants. Grune & Stratton, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Dohrenwend BS, Cook D, Dohrenwend BP (1981) Measurement of social functioning in community populations. In: Wing JK, Bebbington P, Robbins L (eds) What is a case? Grant Mclntyre, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Endicott J, Spitzer RL (1972 a) What another rating scale? The Psychiatric Evaluation Form. J Nerv Ment Disord 154: 88–104Google Scholar
- Hurry J, Sturt E (1981) Social performance in a population sample: relation to psychiatric symptoms. In Wing JK, Bebbington P, Robbins L (eds) What is a case? Grant Mclntyre, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kane RA, Kane RL, Arnold S (1985) Measuring social functioning in mental health studies: concepts and instruments. Mental Health Service System Reports, Series DN No. 5 NIMHGoogle Scholar
- Westermeyer J, Neider J (1988) Social networks and psychopathology among substance abusers. Am J Psychiatry 145:1265–1269Google Scholar
- World Health Organisation (1988) WHO Psychiatric Disabihty Assessment Scale (WHO/DAS). WHO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Wykes T (1992) The assessment of severely disabled psychiatric patients for rehabilitation. In: Kavanagh D (ed) Schizophrenia: an overview and practical handbook. Chapman Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Wykes T, Hurry J (1991) Social behaviour and psychiatric disorder. In: Bebbington P (ed) Social psychiatry: theory, methodology and practice. Transactional Publishers, New BrunswickGoogle Scholar