High Precision Deformation Monitoring Using Differential GPS
Post-mission analysis of observations to the Global Positioning System (GPS) have proven in the past their capability to derive sub-centimeter to millimeter level accuracies for baselines up to 5–10 km.
Considering that we are interested (1) in monitoring three-dimensional relative position changes in the millimeter range over short time spans, and (2) that we want to have the information in an economical way in or near real-time, (3) that we operate only in a radius of up to 7–10 km around a master station, we have built up a continuous real-time DGPS deformation monitoring system. The high portability as well as the high data rates (up to 20 Hz) recommend such a system for its use in monitoring of all kinds of man-made structures where the early detection of possible movements may prevent disasters.
The paper presents this new sophisticated system, outlines the algorithms, the software and hardware architecture as well as reports from first experiences in the field.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fraile, J., G. W. Hein, H. Landau, B. Eissfeller, A. Jansche, N. Balteas, V. Liebig 1992: „First Experiences with Differential GLONASS/GPS Positioning“, Proc. ION GPS-92, Sept. 16–18, Albuquerque, NM, USA, pp 153–158Google Scholar
- Frei, E., A. Ryf and R. Scherrer 1993: „Use of the Global Positioning System in Dam Deformation and Engineering Surveys“, SPN Zeitschrift für Satellitengestützte Positionierung, Navigation und Kommunikation 2, 42–48, Wichmann VerlagGoogle Scholar
- ICOLD 1988: „International Commission for Large Dams Bulletin No. 60: Dam Monitoring-General Considerations“Google Scholar
- Okada, Y. 1985: „Surface Deformation Due to Shear and Tensile Faults in a Half Space“, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 75, pp 1135–1154Google Scholar
- Schneider, G. 1975: „Erdbeben. Entstehung, Ausbreitung, Wirkung“, Ferdinand Enke Verlag StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- Taveira Blomenhofer, E. and G. W. Hein 1993: „Investigations on Carrier Phase Corrections for High-Precision DGPS Navigation“, Proc. ION GPS-93, Sept. 21–23, 1993, Salt Lake City, Utah, pp 1461–1468Google Scholar