Phase II Data on Paclitaxel and Docetaxel in Gastrointestinal Malignancies
From the contributions in this volume, it is apparent that in spite of promising chemotherapy combinations and new multidisciplinary approaches, the treatment of advanced gastrointestinal malignancies remains a difficult task. New agents have recently been developed with either a better therapeutic ratio (fluoropyrimidine analogs or modulators of the metabolic pathway of those agents) or a better activity due to a different mechanism of action. Among the latter agents, the topoisomerase I inhibitors (especially irinotecan, also known as CPT-11) and new antimetabolities (difluorodeoxycytidine, also known as gemcitabine) are of interest for difficult tumors, such as colon and pancreatic cancer. This short review describes the phase II studies on the activity of taxoids, agents that promote tubulin assembly in microtubules and inhibit their depolymerization.
KeywordsAdenocarcinoma Oncol Paclitaxel Gravel Docetaxel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abruzzese JL, Evans D, Gravel D et al (1995) Docetaxel, a potentially active agent for patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 14: 221Google Scholar
- Braakbuis BJM, Hill BT, Dietel M et al (1994) In vitro antiproliferative activity of docetaxel, paclitaxel and cisplatin against human tumors and normal bone marrow cells. Anticancer Res 14: 205–208Google Scholar
- Brown T, Tangen C, Fleming T et al (1993) A phase II trial of Taxol and granulocyte colony stimulating factor in patients with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 13: 200Google Scholar
- Clark T, Kemeny N, Conti JA et al (1994) Phase II trial of docetaxel in previously untreated patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 13: 212Google Scholar
- Einzig AI, Wiernik PH, Lipsitz S et al (1993) Phase II trial of taxol in patients with adenocarcinoma of the upper gastrointestinal tract: the Eastern Cooperative Group results. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 12: 194Google Scholar
- Einzig AI, Lipshitz S, Wiernik PH et al (1995) Phase II trial of taxotere in patients with adenocarcinoma of the upper gastrointestinal tract previously untreated with chemotherapy. The ECOG results. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 14: 191Google Scholar
- Lavelle F, Bissery MC,Combeau C et al (1995) Preclinical evaluation of docetaxel (tacotere). Semin Oncol 22:2 [Suppl 4]:3–16Google Scholar
- Pazdur R, Kudelka AP, Kavanagh JJ et al (1993) The taxoids: Paclitaxel and docetaxel. Cancer Treat Rev 19: 351–356Google Scholar
- Rougier P, de Forni M, Adenis A et al (1994) Phase II study of Taxotere (RP 56976, docetaxel) in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 13: 200Google Scholar
- Vaughn DJ, Shaw LM, Recio A et al (1995). A phase II trial of 96-hour infusional paclitaxel with pharmacokinetic analysis in metastatic colorectal cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 15: 530Google Scholar