Efficacy of Leuprorelin Acetate Depot in the Treatment of Prostatic Cancer: Results of a Long-Term Follow-Up Study
The hormone dependency of prostatic cancer and its clinical responsiveness to androgen deprivation were described over 50 years ago by Huggins and Hodges (1941). About 80% of prostatic tumors show a primary response to androgen-ablative procedures. Until recently, orchiectomy and estrogen therapy were regarded as the state of the art, although psychological problems associated with orchiectomy and the risk of serious cardiovascular side effects from estrogen therapy were known and had been described at length in the literature (Bailar and Byar 1970; The Leuprorelin Study Group 1984).
KeywordsPlacebo Estrogen Adenocarcinoma Testosterone Androgen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cirkel U et al (1992) Experience with leuprorelin acetate depot in the treatment of fibroids: a German multicentre study. Int J Drug Ther 14 [Supp. A]Google Scholar
- Dowsett M et al (1992) Clinical and endocrine effects of leuprorelin acetate in pre- and postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer. Int J Drug Ther 14 [Supp. A]Google Scholar
- Fornara P (1992) Multicenter-Studie mit Enantone Monats-Depot — Langzeitsverlaufskontrolle. In: Endokrine Therapie des fortgeschrittenen Prostatakarzinoms. Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York TokyoGoogle Scholar
- Gerhard I et al (1992) Treatment of endometriosis with leuprorelin acetate depot: a German multicentre study. Int J Drug Ther 14 [Supp. A]Google Scholar
- Huggins C, Hodges CV (1941) Studies on Prostatic Cancer I. The effect of castration, estrogen and androgen injections on serum phosphatases in metastatic carcinoma of the prostata. Res 1: 292Google Scholar
- International Union Against Cancer (1987) TNM classification of malignant tumours. 4th a fully revised edn. Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York TokyoGoogle Scholar
- O’Brien A, Grainger R, Butler MR (1992) Experience with leuprorelin acetate as a depot formulation for prostate cancer in a long-term follow-up study. In: Endokrine Therapie des fortgeschrittenen Prostatakarzinoms. Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York TokyoGoogle Scholar
- Ogawa Y (1992) Monthly microcapsule-depot form of LHRH agonist, leuprorelin acetate (Enantone Depot): Formulation and pharmacokinetics in animals. Eur J Hosp Pharm Vol 2, No. 4Google Scholar
- Toguchi H (1992) Formulation study of leuprorelin acetate to improve clinical performance. Int J Drug Ther 14 [Supp. A]Google Scholar
- Turkes AO, Peeling WB, Griffiths K (1987) Management of patients with advanced carcinoma of the prostate: a randomized phase III trial of zoladex against castration by the British Prostate Group. In: (eds) Hormonal therapy of prostatic diseases. Motta M, Serio M, MedicomGoogle Scholar