Interactions between Partners in the Association “Wheat - Azospirillum brasilense Sp 245”
We report here on the effect of association between wheat plants and bacteria of the genus Azospirillum on the physiology and biochemistry of the associated partners. Lectin studies revealed strain-specific interaction of a wheat lectin with azospirilla. Inoculation of wheat seedlings with different Azospirillum strains and phytohormone (indole-3-acetic acid and abscisic acid) treatments brought about changes in specific lectin activity and in wheat root growth parameters. At concentrations of 0.5 – 2.0 mg/L, wheat lectin was stimulatory to the synthesis of indole-3-acetic acid in Azospirillum cells grown on a nitrogen-free medium under microaerophilic conditions. Changes in the synthesis of hydroxyproline-rich proteins and in the activities of exoglycosidases due to Azospirillum inoculation were also noted. These findings are in support of the views that the effect of Azospirillum on plants (wheat) is largely due to microbial production of indole-3-acetic acid, as well as to nitrogenase activity.
KeywordsWheat Seedling Wheat Germ Agglutinin Wheat Root Azospirillum Brasilense Lectin Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benhamou N, Lafontane PJ, Mazau D, Esquerre-Tugaye MT (1991) Differentional accumulation of hydroxyproline-rich glycoproteins in bean root nodule cells infected with a wild-type strain or C4-dicarboxylic acid mutant Rhizobium leguminosarum phaseoli. Planta 184: 457–467Google Scholar
- Döbereiner J, Day JM (1976) Associated symbiosis in tropical grasses: characterisation of microorganisms and dinitrogen fixing sites. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Nitrogen Fixation. Newton WH, Nymans CJ (eds). Washington State University Press, Pullman, Wash, pp 518–538Google Scholar
- Iosipenko AD, Sergeeva EI, Antonyuk LP, Ignatov VV (1994) The effect of wheat lectin on indole-3-acetic acid synthesis by Azospirillum brasilense Sp 245. Doklady Rossiiskoy Akademii Nauk 336 4: 559–561 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Iosipenko OA, Selivanov NYu, Evtushenko IYa, Stadnik GI, Ignatov VV (1992) Changes of lectin isoform content during wheat germination. In: Lectins: Biology, Biochemistry and Chemical Biochemistry. Kallikorm A, Bøg-Hansen TC (eds). Sigma Chemical Company, S. LouisGoogle Scholar
- Maksimov VN (1980) The multifactor experiment in biology. MGU Moscow (In Russian)Google Scholar
- Mazau D, Rumeau D, Esquerre-Tugaye MT (1986) Biochemical study of hydroxyproline-rich glycoproteins in plant-pathogen interactions. In: Biology and molecular biology of plant- patogen interactions NATO ASI. Bailey JA (ed). Mazau D, Rumeau D, Esquerre-Tugaye MT 1. Springer-Verlag New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Nelson NJ (1944) New method for colorimetric determination of sugars. J Biol Chem 153: 375–375Google Scholar
- Scopes RK (1987) Protein purification: principles and practice. Springer-Verlag New YorkGoogle Scholar