Connections Between Atmospheric Ozone, The Climate System and UV-B-Radiation in The Arctic
The global three-dimensional distribution of atmospheric ozone is highly controlled by atmospheric dynamics. In its turn, ozone affects the global climate system through its absorption bands in the ultraviolet and infrared parts of atmospheric spectra, and through infrared emission by ozone molecules. The considerable increase in tropospheric ozone concentrations, especially in mid-latitudes, since the 19th Century and the decreasing trend of stratospheric ozone in high and mid-latitudes during recent decades emphasise the central role of atmospheric ozone in global change. These changes are not only important for the biosphere, but also for the global climate system.
KeywordsVortex Microwave Europe Ozone Hydrocarbon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bojkov, R. and C. Zerefos, 1993, Atlas of G030S total ozone maps for the European Arctic Stratospheric Ozone Experiment, WMO GAW Report No. 31, 167 p.Google Scholar
- Harwood, R., E. Carr, I. MacKenzie, J. Waters, E. Fishbein, D. Flower, I. Froidevaux, R. Jarnot, W. Read, G. Peckham, W. Lahoz and P. Ricaud, 1994, Contributions from microwave limb sounder to our understanding of middle atmosphere composition and dynamics, Annales Geophysicae, Supplement III to Volume 12, p. C607.Google Scholar
- Huovila, S. and A. Tuominen, 1990, On the influence of radiosonde lag errors on upper-air climatological data in Finland 1951–1988, Finnish Meteorological Institute, Meteorological Publications 14, 29 p.Google Scholar
- Larsen N., B. Knudsen, I. Mikkelsen, T. Jorgensen and P. Eriksen, 1994, Ozone depletion in the Arctic stratosphere in early 1993, submitted to the Geophys. Res. Lett.Google Scholar
- Rummukainen, M., B. Knudsen and P. von der Gathen, 1994, Dynamical diagnostics of the edges of the polar vortices, Annales Geophysicae, in press.Google Scholar
- Taalas, P. and E. Kyrö, 1992 b, Two years of regulär ozone soundings in the European Arctic, Sodankylä, J. Geophys. Res. D97, 8093–8098.Google Scholar
- Taalas, P., 1992, On the behaviour of tropospheric and stratospheric ozone in Northern Europe and in Antarctica 1987–90. Finnish Meteorological Institute, Contributions No. 8, 88 p.Google Scholar