The history of Carnegie-Mellon University began in 1900, when Andrew Carnegie founded technical schools in Pittsburgh to prepare specialists for his huge industrial enterprises there. In 1905, these schools were transformed into the Carnegie Institute of Technology, where engineering degrees were granted [5.1]. In 1913, brothers Andrew and Richard Mellon founded a private research institute in Pittsburgh, which was to “conduct comprehensive research in the fundamental and applied natural sciences and to cooperate with industry in sponsored programs of research”. Using the contemporary terminology, the Mellon Institute did research work in polymer chemistry, solid-state physics, and biochemistry [5.2]. On July 1, 1967, the two institutions — the Carnegie Institute of Technology and the Mellon Institute — joined to form the Carnegie-Mellon University. Today, this university has about 7000 students, who are being instructed by more than 500 teachers. It includes the following institutions: the former Carnegie Institute of Technology and the former Mellon Institute, the College of Fine Arts, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Graduate School of Industrial Administration, the Mellon College of Science, the School of Computer Science, the School of Urban and Public Affairs, the Hunt Institute for Botanic Documentation, the Software Engineering Institute, the Nuclear Research Center (Saxonburg, PA), the Radiation Chemistry Laboratory (Bushy Run, PA), the Computation Center for Research in Computer Languages, the Educational Center for Curriculum Development, the Transportation Research Institute, and the Drama Department [5.3].
KeywordsRational Mechanics Carnegie Institute Finite Elasticity Simple Body Viscometric Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.