Connectivity and Congestion on European Road Corridors
Europe is increasingly moving towards a network economy, in which physical flows of people and goods form the connecting elements. This means that European corridors — especially those between major metropolitan areas or centres of economic activity in Europe — are playing a critical role in the new, evolving map of Europe. At the same time it has to be recognized that traffic congestion on many European transport corridors is dramatically increasing, while also the environmental implications and the poor safety conditions cause unacceptable social costs. Conventional transport policy is apparently unable to keep up with Europe’s growing demand for mobility. New transport technologies are hence increasingly regarded as necessary instruments for ensuring sustainable mobility.
KeywordsTraffic Flow Residential Density Freight Transport Accessibility Index Multicriteria Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Nakicenovic N (1992) The Role of Surface Transportation. History of Development and Prospects for the Next Century. Paper presented at the Course on ‘Communication Networks’. Summer University of Southern Stockholm, Novum ParkGoogle Scholar
- Nijkamp P (1979) Multidimensional Spatial Data and Decision Analysis. Whiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Nijkamp P, Rietveld P, Voogd H (1990) Multiple Criteria Analysis in Physical Planning, North Holland. AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Nijkamp P, Pepping G, Reggiani A, Lampugnani G (1993) European Corridor Typology. Description of Methodology and Data Base. Marta Working Paper No 13. EC-DRIVE, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- Reggiani A, Lampugnani G, Nijkamp P, Pepping G (1993) European Corridor Characteristics. Some Typologies by means of European Maps and Diagrams. Marta Working Paper No 12. EC-DRIVE, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- Reggiani A, Lampugnani G, Nijkamp P, Pepping G (1994) Towards a Typology of European Interurban Transport Corridors for Advanced Transport Telematics Applications. Paper presented at the Western Regional Science Association Meeting. Tucson, ArizonaGoogle Scholar