Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Secondary Instability in Leading Edge Boundary Layer Flow
Subharmonic growth of secondary disturbances is considered in boundary layer flow in the infinite swept attachment-line at high Reynolds number. Results are obtained in the neighbourhood of Branch I, where instability waves are observed experimentally. The amplified range of wavenumbers is identified, as is the dependence of the secondary growth rate on (a) the Reynolds number and (b) the amplitude of the superimposed primary disturbance. The spatial structure of the secondary disturbance at conditions of maximum growth is made available for comparisons with experiment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnal, D., (1993). AGARD-FDP-VKI LS-06: Progress in Transition Modelling, VKI, Brussels, Belgium, March 29 – April 1, 1993.Google Scholar
- Boyd, J. P., (1989). Chebyshev and Fourier Spectral Methods, Lecture Notes in Engineering 49, Springer. Hall, P., Malik, M. R. and Poll, D. I. A., (1984). On the Stability of an Infinite Swept Attachment-Line Boundary Layer. Proc. Roy. Soc. A 395, p.229.Google Scholar
- Herbert, Th., (1984). Analysis of the subharmonic route to transition in boundary layers. AIAA, Paper 84-0009.Google Scholar
- Herbert, Th., Bertolotti, F. P., and Santos, G. R., (1985). Floquet analysis of secondary instability in shear flows. in Stability of time dependent and spatially varying flows, D. L. Dwoyer and M. Y. Hussaini (eds.), Springer, p.43.Google Scholar
- Pfenninger, W., and Bacon, J. W., (1969). Amplified laminar boundary layer oscillations and transition at the front of a 45° swept flat-nosed wing with and without boundary layer suction. in Viscous Drag Reduction, (C. S. Wells ed.), Plenum Press, p.85.Google Scholar
- Poll, D. I. A., (1978). College of Aeronautics Rep. 7805.Google Scholar
- Poll, D. I. A., (1979). Transition in the infinite swept attachment line boundary layer. The Aeronautical Quart. 30, p.607.Google Scholar
- Streett, C. L., Zang, T. A. and Hussaini, M. Y., (1984). Spectral methods for solution of the boundary layer equations. AIAA Pap. No. 84-0170 Google Scholar
- Theofilis, V., (1994a). The discrete temporal eigenvalue spectrum of the generalised Hiemenz flow as solution of the Orr-Sommerfeld equation. J. Eng. Math. (to appear in Vol. 28)Google Scholar
- Theofilis, V., (1994b). On subcritical instability of the attachment-line boundary layer, in review in J. Fluid Mech. Google Scholar