Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the K-Regime of Boundary-Layer Transition
One particular case of K-type transition has been investigated using hot-wire measurements and spatial direct numerical simulation (DNS). Detailed quantitative comparisons of the results of both approaches showed very good agreement of the spatial disturbance development, the disturbance spectra, the instantaneous velocity traces, and the local frequency-spanwise-wave-number spectra. Indications for a direct generation of three-dimensional modes as higher harmonics of the fundamental modes were found. A closer look at the phase speeds of these modes, however, revealed that weak-nonlinear interactions are only initially appropriate to describe the flow, they fail when local events dominate, like, for example the formation of small-scale vortices in the boundary layer. The investigation of the later stages showed that the hot-wire ‘spike’-signals are connected with small ring-like vortices.
KeywordsBoundary Layer Direct Numerical Simulation Phase Speed High Harmonic Disturbance Amplitude
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borodulin, V.I. and Kachanov, Y.S.: Role of the mechanism of local secondary instability in K-breakdown of boundary layer. Izv. Sib. Otd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Tekh. Nauk. 18 (1988) 65–77 (in Russian). (Transl. Soviet J. Appl. Phys. 3(2) (1989) 70–81.)Google Scholar
- Kachanov, Y.S., Kozlov, V.V., Levchenko, V.Y. and Ramazanov, M.P.: On nature of K-breakdown of a laminar boundary-layer; new experimental data. Laminar-Turbulent Transition (ed. V.V. Kozlov), Springer, New York (1986) 61–73.Google Scholar
- Rist, U.: Numerische Untersuchung der räumlichen, dreidimensionalen Störungsentwicklung beim Grenzschicht Umschlag. Dissertation Universität Stuttgart (1990).Google Scholar
- Rist, U. and Fasel, H.: Direct numerical simulation of controlled transition in a flat-plate boundary layer, J. Fluid Mech. (1985).Google Scholar
- Kloker, M.: Direkte Numerische Simulation des laminar-turbulenten Strömungsumschlages in einer stark verzögerten Grenzschicht, Dissertation Universität Stuttgart (1993).Google Scholar