Computational Modeling of Damage Extension Ahead of Notch Tip in Fiber-Reinforced Composites
Considerable effort has thus far been made for the computational modeling of the Mode I type progressive fracture of notched composites (for example, Ref. [1–6]). The modeling can be classified broadly into two kinds. One is the modeling based on the stiffness degradation model[1-3] and another the fictitious crack model[4–6]. In the stiffness degradation model, stress and strain distributions inside the composites are firstly calculated by the use of a finite element method (FEM). By the use of the results, failure of the composites is examined on the basis of failure criteria, and reduction of mechanical properties is evaluated. In the fictitious crack model, the damage developed at the notch tip is modeled as a fictitious crack with the cohesive stress acting on the crack surfaces. The relationship between the cohesive stress and crack opening displacement, i.e., the tension-softening relation, is determined theoretically or experimentally.
KeywordsCrack Opening Displacement Damage Zone Computational Simulation Matrix Crack Cohesive Stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.S. Sandhu, G.P. Sendeckyj and R.L. Gallo, Modeling of the Failure Process in Notched Laminates, Mechanics of Composite Materials Recent Advances (edited by Z. Hashin et al.), Pergamon, New York (1983), pp.179–189.Google Scholar
- K.Y. Chang, S. Liu and F.K. Chang, Damage Tolerance of Laminated Composites Containing an Open Hole and Subjected to Tensile Loadings, J. Comp. Mater., Vol.25 (1991), pp.274–301.Google Scholar
- S.C. Tan, A Progressive Failure Model for Composite Laminates Containing Openings, J. Comp. Mater., Vol.25 (1991), pp.556–577.Google Scholar
- H. Sekine, T. Sasaki and S. Kamiya, Computational Simulation of Fracture Behavior of Random Fiber Reinforced SMC Composites With a Notch, CANCOM ’93 (1993), pp.541–548.Google Scholar
- H. Sekine and H. Suzuki, Prediction of the Tension-Softening Relation for Short-Fiber-Reinforced SMC Composites by a Probabilistic Model, JSME Int. J., Ser. I, Vol.34 (1991), pp.228–233.Google Scholar
- H. Sekine and H. Suzuki, Modeling on Computational Simulation of Fracture Behavior of Notched Fiber-Reinforced Composites, Int. Conf. Mater. Eng. Resources ’94 (1994), pp.292–299.Google Scholar
- H. Tada, P.C. Paris and G.R. Irwin, The Stress Analysis of Cracks Handbook, Del Research Corporation, Hellertown, Pennsylvania (1973), p.2.20.Google Scholar