An Anisotropic Damage Model for Metal Fatigue
This paper presents the development of an anisotropic fatigue damage model to assess residual life of engineering components based on theory of Damage Mechanics (DM). This is achieved by extending the application of an anisotropic model of Damage Mechanics recently proposed by Chow and Wang (Chow and Wang, 1987a,b,c, 1988; Wang, 1987). The effect of plastic damage on fatigue damage is taken into account by establishing the required evolution equations of plastic damage. The failure criterion is based on the postulation that a macro-crack is formed when overall equivalent damage Z, which includes fatigue damage Zf and plastic damage ZP, reaches a critical value Zcr.
For the sake of illustration, the fatigue damage model is used to assess residual lives of smooth specimens under fatigue loading. The loading conditions chosen are single block loading, double block loading and overload. The predicted results show good agreement with the experimental data.
KeywordsFatigue Life Fatigue Damage Damage Accumulation Engineer Fracture Mechanics Plastic Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chaboche, J.L. and Lesne, P.M. (1988), Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 1 1–17.Google Scholar
- Chow, C.L. and Wang, J. (1987c), Damage Mechanics in Composites ASME AD-Vol. 12 (1987) 1–10.Google Scholar
- Coffin, Jr, L.F. (1954), Transactions ASME 76, 931.Google Scholar
- Corten, H.T. and Dolan, T.J. (1965), Proceedings, International Conference on Fatigue of Metals. Google Scholar
- Frost, N.E. et al. (1974), Metal Fatigue, Clarendon press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Gao, Z.T. (1986), Applied Statistics of Fatigue (in Chinese), National Defense Industry Press (1986)Google Scholar
- Gerber, W.Z. (1874), Bayer. Achit Ing. Ver.6 (1874) 101.Google Scholar
- Goodman, J. (1899), Mechanics Applied to Engineering, Longman, Green, and Company, London.Google Scholar
- Kachanov, L.M. (1958), Izvestiya Akademii Nauk. SSSR. Otd. Tekhn. Nauk. 8, 26–31.Google Scholar
- Lee, H., Peng, K. and Wang, J. (1985), Engineering Fracture Mechanics 5, 1031–1054.Google Scholar
- Miner, M.A. (1945), Journal of Applied Mechanics 12 (1945) A159Google Scholar
- Paris, P.C. (1957), The Boeing Company, Document No. 17867, Addendum N, Sept. 12.Google Scholar
- Wang, J. (1987), Development of An Anisotropic Damage Mechanics Model in Ductile Fracture, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Hong Kong.Google Scholar