On the Numerical Implementation of Renewal Inelasticity Theory
A theory [1,2] has been developed to model the effects of inelastic deformation of metals at high temperatures based on the renewal theory of statistics. The theory successfully combines elastic, creep and plastic effects into a single viscoplastic model. The resulting expression for the uniaxial case consists of two coupled, first order, non-linear, ordinary differential equations. The solution of this equation is free of many of the numerical problems faced when dealing with other theories [3,4] and numerical solutions are readily carried out using a fourth order Runge-Kutta algorithm. Implicit methods developed for stiff differential equations are not required.
KeywordsInelastic Deformation Renewal Theory Intrinsic Time Explicit Solver Constant Strain Rate Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagley, R.L., Jones, D.I.G. and Freed, A.D.; “Renewal Creep Theory”; Metallurgical and Materials Transaction. Accepted for Publication.Google Scholar
- Bagley, R.L., Freed, A.D. and Jones, D.I.G.; “A Renewal Theory of Inelasticity”; Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. Accepted for Publication.Google Scholar
- Kumar, V., Mahesh, M. and Mukherjee, S.; “Numerical Integration of Some Stiff Constitutive Models of Inelastic Deformation”; Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology: January 1980, pp 92–6.Google Scholar
- Jones, D.I.G, French, R.M. and Bagley, R.L.; “Renewal Inelasticity Theory With a Damage Function”; Second International Conference on Heat Resistant Materials; Gatlinburg, Sept 1995.Google Scholar
- Press, W.H., Teulkolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T. and Flannery, B.P.; “Numerical Recipes in FORTRAN — Second Edition”; Cambridge University Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- Shampine, L.F. and Watts, H.A.; “The Art of Writing a Runge-Kutta Code II”; Applied Mathematics and Computation. Vol. 5, pp 93–121.Google Scholar
- Freed, A.D. and Iskovitz, I.S.; “Development and Applications of a Rosenbrock Integrator”; To Appear as a NASA Technical Memorandum, 1995.Google Scholar