Fatigue Life Prediction of BGA Solder Joints under Thermal Cyclic Loads
Recently Ball Grid Array (BGA) is paid attention in the tendency of the miniaturization of I.C. packages, the increase in number of pins and the decrease in pin pitch. BGA has advantages that it is easy to increase the number of pins without decreasing the pin pitch and the accurate mounting technology is not necessary, compared with Quad Flat Package(QFP). One of the important problems in developing BGA is fatigue life prediction of solder joints under thermal cyclic loads. So far the strength evaluation of thermal fatigue of solder joints have been done using Coffin-Manson’s law or its modified equations, which have used an inelastic strain range as a parameter. However the new method of energy partitioning method, which treat the fatigue life dividing it into three parts due to elastic energy, plastic energy and creep energy, is now being proposed -. The electronic packages including BGA are originally three dimensional structures, but many studies on them have been conducted by two dimensional analyses.
KeywordsFatigue Life Solder Joint Dimensional Analysis Equivalent Plastic Strain Ball Grid Array
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.B. Barker, V.K. Gupta and K. Cluff, Soler Joint Crack Initiation and Crack Propagation in a TSOP using Strain Energy Partitioning, ASME Proc. of Advances in Electronic Packaging, EEP-Vol.4–2(1993), pp.943–949.Google Scholar
- N. Paydar, Y. Tong and H.U. Akay, A Finite Element Study of Fatigue life Prediction Methods for Thermally Loaded Solder Joints, ASME Proc. of Advances in Electronic Packaging, EEP-Vol.4–2(1993), pp.1063–1070.Google Scholar
- S. Wang, M. Shiratori and Q. Yu, Elastic-Plastic-Creep Finite Element Analysis of Solder Joint in the Surface Mount Components, JSME Proc. of the 7th Computational Mechanics Conference, No.940–54(1994), pp.308–309.Google Scholar
- T. Matsuura and T. Kawakami, Stresses in a DBC Board during the Power Module Assembly Process, JSME Proc. of the 7th Computational Mechanics Conference, No.940–54(1994), pp.306–307.Google Scholar
- T. Takemoto and R. Satoh, High Reliability Micro Soldering Technology, Kogyo-chousa-kai, Tokyo(1991).Google Scholar
- M. Mukai, T. Kawakami, T. Endo, Y. Hiruta and K. Takahashi, Elastic-Creep Thermal Stress Analyses for the SMT-PGA Package’s Solder Joint, ASME Proc. of Mechanics and Materials for Electronic Packaging: Vol.2-Thermal and Mechanical Behavior and Modelling, AMD-Vol.187(1994), pp.197–203.Google Scholar