Immediate-early genes and opioid peptides
Cellular stimulation causes the rapid appearance of proteins in the nucleus which function as signal-regulated transcription factors converting membrane events into long-term changes in gene expression. These transcription factors are the products of a variety of immediate early genes (IEG). One important group of these signal- regulated transcription factors are the BZip proteins which contain each a basic (B) and a leucine zipper (Zip) domain that are required for DNA binding and dimerization, respectively.
KeywordsBovine Chromaffin Cell POMC Gene Bovine Adrenal Medullary Cell Prodynorphin Gene POMC Gene Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boutillier AL, Barthel F, Roberts JL, Loeffler JP (1992) Beta-adrenergic stimulation of c-Fos via protein kinase A is mediated by cAMP regulatory element binding protein (CREB)-dependent and tissue-specific CREB-independent mechanisms in corticotrope cells. J Biol Chem 267:23520–23526PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hoeffler JP, Meyer TE, Waeber G, Habener JF (1990) Multiple adenosine 3′\5′-cyclic [corrected] monophosphate response element DNA-binding proteins generated by gene diversification and alternative exon splicing [published erratum appears in Mol Endocrinol 1990 Jul;4(7): 1016]. Mol Endocrinol 4:920–930PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hollt V (1993) Regulation of opioid peptide gene expression. In: Herz A (ed) Handbook of experimental pharmacology, Vol104/I Opioids I., Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp 307–364Google Scholar
- Kraus J, Hollt V (1993) Identification of hormone response elements of the human proopiomelanocortin gene promoter. Eur J Physiol 422:Suppl 1, R87. (Abstract)Google Scholar
- Reisine T, Rougon G, Barbet J, Affolter HU (1985) Corticotropin-releasing factor-induced adrenocorticotropin hormone release and synthesis is blocked by incorporation of the inhibitor of cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase into anterior pituitary tumor cells by liposomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82:8261–8265PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang X, Bacher B, Hollt V (1993) Gene expression in bovine adrenal chromaffin cells: relationship between c-Fos/c-Jun and proenkephalin. Eur J Physiol 422, Suppl 1, R92. (Abstract)Google Scholar