Social Attitudes Towards the Latest Legislation on Brain Death
The first organ donation law in Turkey came out in 1979 (Act.Nr.2238), and was revised in 1982 (Act.Nr.17727). The new legislation on Organ Transplantation Centres came out as Act Nr.21674, on August 20th 1993. The appendix of this act defined the criteria of brainstem death as brain-death, and legally accepted death. The last paragraph of this section describes the procedure for organ donation in brain death-patients as follows; (if the relatives of a brain-death patient, disapprove of organ donation, life-sustaining treatments will be withdrawn.). In this study, we try to investigate the social attitudes towards the concept of brainstem death and the new regulation on consent procedures for post mortem organ donations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Miles S.H., Medical Futility. Law, Medicine and Health Care, 20: 310–315, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.Rouse F., Advance Directives: Where Are We Heading after Cruzan? Law, Medicine and Health Care. 18: 353–359, 1990.Google Scholar
- Miller T.E., Public Policy In the Wake of Cruzan: A case Study of NewYork’s Health Care Proxy Law. 18: 360–367, 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.McKnight D.K., Bellis M., Foregoing Life-sustaining Treatment for Adult, Developmentally Disabled, Public Wards: A proposed Statute. American Journal of Law and Medicine. XVIII: 203–232, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.Link J. Concept and Diagnosis of Brain-death. XIII.th Meeting of the International Association of Forensic Sciences, Düsseldorf, Germany, 22–28 August 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.Mason J.K., McCall Smith R.A. The diagnosis of death. Chapter 13, pp 289–299, in Law and Medical Ethics. Third Edition, 1991, Butterworths. London, Dublin, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- 10.Brody B., Special Ethical Issues in the Management of PVS Patients. Law, Medicine and Health Care, 20: 104–115, 1992Google Scholar
- 11.Kurosu M., Haseba T., Ohno Y. Is Brain Death Actual Death Medically Speaking? Opinions of Physicians and Medical or Biological Scientists in Japan. XIII.th Meeting of the International Association of Forensic Sciences, Düsseldorf, Germany, 22–28 August 1993.Google Scholar