Quantitating blood flow by digital angiography: a gold standard?
Volume blood flow is measurable from digital data acquired during angiography and can be plotted as it changes throughout a cardiac cycle. The method has now been introduced on a trial basis during some carotid and vertebral studies at the National Hospital, Queen Square. The results, which fall numerically within the range predicted by 133Xe cerebral blood flow methods, reveal patterns consistent with pathological conditions. It is suggested that the method could provide a Standard to assist and calibrate ultrasonic flow measurement and magnetic resonance quantitative angiography.
key wordsDigital angiography Blood flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brunt JNH, Boulay GH du, Wallis A, Wicks DAG (1991) Fluid flow measurement in vessels from digital subtraction angiography video recordings. Neuroradiology 33 [Suppl]: 456–458.Google Scholar
- 2.Brunt JNH, Hawkes DJ, Seifalian AM, Boulay GH du, Colchester AFC, Wallis A (1992) The measurement of blood flow waveforms X-ray angiography, pts 1,2. Proc Inst Mech Eng 206: 73–85; 87-91.Google Scholar
- 3.Colchester ACF, Hawkes DJ, Brunt JNH, Boulay GH du, Wallis A (1986) Pulsatile blood flow measurements with the aid of 3-D reconstruction from dynamic angiographic recordings. In: Bacharach ST (ed) Information processing in medical imaging. Martinus Nijhoff, Dordrecht, pp 247–265.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Munck O, Barenholdt O, Busch (1968) Cerebral blood flow in organic dementia, measured with the xenon-133 desaturation method. Scand J Lab Clin Invest [Suppl] 102.Google Scholar
- 8.Matsumoto M, Sekimoto H, Griya Y, Matsumoto M, Tsuchia H, Takasaki M, Takizawa S (1992) Simultaneous cardio-cerebral ultrasonic measurement technique for assessing the interrelationship between cardiac and cerebral circulations in elderly subjects: a preliminary study. Ultrasound Med Biol 18: 45–49.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Yoshimura S, Furuhata H, Suzuki N, et al (1982) Non-invasive and quantitative measurement of volume flow-rate in internal and external carotid and vertebral arteries by ultrasound. J Jpn Coll Angiol 22: 191–198.Google Scholar