Simulation of the Electron-Phonon Interaction in Infinite Dimensions
The electron-phonon interaction corresponding to the Holstein model (with Coulomb repulsion) is simulated in infinite dimensions using a novel quantum Monte Carlo algorithm. The thermodynamic phase diagram includes commensurate charge-density-wave phases, incommensurate charge-density-wave phases, and superconductivity. The crossover from a weak-coupling picture (where pairs both form and condense at T c ) to a strong-coupling picture (where preformed pairs condense at T c ) is illustrated with the onset of a double-well structure in the effective phonon potential.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Schweitzer and G. Czycholl, Z. Phys. B 77, 327 (1990).Google Scholar
- F. J. Ohkawa, Phys. Rev. B 44, 6812 (1991).Google Scholar
- W. H. Press, B. P. Flannery, S. A. Teukolsky, and W. T. Vetterling, Numerical Recipes (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1986).Google Scholar
- Obeying causality is crucial to guarantee that the procedure described here is properly Herglotz.Google Scholar
- J. K. Freericks, M. Jarrell, and D. J. Scalapino, to appear in Europhys. Lett. (1994)Google Scholar
- J. E. Hirsch, 31, 4403 (1985).Google Scholar