Optical Properties of Self-Organizing Quantum-Dot Structures
We present experimental evidence that directly demonstrates the discrete nature of the density-of-states (broadened delta functions) in InGaAs ultrasmall quantum dots (diameter as small as 13 nm) epitaxially grown on GaAs by the coherent islanding effect. From the photoluminescence and the photoluminescence excitation spectra, we deduce an interlevel spacing of ~30 meV between the ground state and the first excited state arising from the lateral confinement, for quantum dots having a diameter of ~20 nm.
KeywordsQuantum Well Heavy Hole Reflection High Energy Electron Diffraction Thermal Quenching Lateral Confinement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Leonard, M. Krishnamurthy, S. Fafard, J.L. Merz and P.M. Petroff, Proceedings of the MBE conference, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. (June 94?). Or D. Leonard, M. Krishnamurthy, C. M. Reaves, S.P. Denbaars, and P.M. Petroff, Appl. Phys. Lett. 63, 3203 (1993). Or G. Wang, S. Fafard, D. Leonard, J.E. Bowers, J.L. Merz and P.M. Petroff, Appl. Phys. Lett. (1994). Or D. Leonard, S. Fafard, K. Pond, Y.H. Zhang, J.L. Merz and P.M. Petroff, Invitated paper at the PCSI-21 conference Mohonk, N.Y. Jan. 94, Proceedings in J. Vac. Sci. Technol.Google Scholar
- C.W. Snyder, J.F. Mansfield and B.G. Orr, Phys. Rev. B-46, 9551 (1992).Google Scholar
- G.W. Bryant, Phys. Rev. B-37, 8763 (1988).Google Scholar
- Y. Kayanuma, Phys. Rev. B-44, 13085 (1991).Google Scholar
- U. Bockelmann, G. Bastard, Phys. Rev. B-42, 8947 (1990).Google Scholar
- [18a]H. Benisty, CM. Sotomayortorres, and C. Weisbush, Phys. Rev. B-44, 10945 (1991).Google Scholar
- G. Bacher, C. Hartmann, H. Schweizer, T. Held, G. Mahler, H. Nickel, Phys. Rev. B-47, 9545 (1993).Google Scholar
- S.H. Pan et al, Phys. Rev. B-38, 3375 (1988).Google Scholar
- P.C. Sercel and K.J. Vahala, Phys. Rev. B-42, 3690 (1990).Google Scholar
- S. Le Goff and B. Stébé, Phys. Rev. B-47, 1383 (1993),.Google Scholar