Gemcitabine Therapy in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Review
The treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) has not made very significant progress with regard to response rates and survival in the last decade. Few single agents have, in large studies, achieved response rates of more than 15%, while combination treatment gives response rates of 25% to 35% [1–4]. Several randomised studies comparing chemotherapy with best supportive care have yielded predominantly slightly favourable results for chemotherapy . Two recent meta-analyses of the literature indicated a significant but modest survival advantage for the use of platinum-containing combination treatment compared with best supportive care [6,7].
KeywordsToxicity Platinum Oncol Neutropenia Thrombocytopenia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lenzi R, Fossella FV, Lee JS: Systemic treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Compre Ther 1992 (18): 27–30Google Scholar
- 5.Rapp E, Pater JL, Willan A, Cormier Y, Murray N, Evans WK, Hodson Dl, Clark DA, Feld R, Arnold AM, Ayoub Jl, Wilson KS, Latreille J, Wierzbicki RF, Hill DP: Chemotherapy can prolong survival in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer - report of a Canadian multicenter randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 1988 (6):633–641Google Scholar
- 9.Carmichael J, Possinger K, Philip P, Beykirch M, Kerr H, Walling J, Harris AL: Difluorodeoxycytidine (gemcitabine): a phase II study in patients with advanced breast cancer. ASCO Proceedings 1993 (12):64 #57Google Scholar
- 10.Lund B, Hansen OP, Theilade K, Hansen M, Neijt JL: Phase II study of gemcitabine in previously platinum treated ovarian cancer patients. An update. ASCO Proceedings 1993 (12):262 #834Google Scholar
- 11.Eisenhauer E, Cormier Y, Gregg R, Stewart D, Muldal A: Gemcitabine is active in patients with previously untreated extensive small-cell lung cancer. A phase II study of the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group. ASCO Proceedings 1992 (11):#1043Google Scholar
- 12.Anderson H, Final report accepted by J Clin OncolGoogle Scholar
- 13.Abratt R, Final reported accepted by J Clin OncolGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gatzemeier V, abstract: accepted for publication, 7th World Lung Conference, Colorado Springs, 1994Google Scholar