Local Bending Fluctuations of the Cell Membrane
Submicron mechanical fluctuations of the cell membrane are a newly recognized dynamical activity of the living cell (Krol et al., 1990; Levin and Korenstein, 1991; Mittelman et al., 1991; Tuvia et al., 1992a). These fluctuations consist of 300-20nm reversible displacements of the cell membrane in the frequency range of 0.3-30Hz, correspondingly. Submicron cell membrane fluctuations (CMF) were observed in different types of cells including red blood cells (Krol et al., 1990, Levin and Korenstein, 1991) monocytes, lymphocytes, 3T6 fibroblasts, cardiomyocytes (Krol et al., 1990) and murine lymphoma cells (Mittelman et al., 1991).
KeywordsAtrial Natriuretic Peptide Displacement Amplitude Fluctuation Amplitude Cell Filterability Membrane Skeleton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagge, U., Braneerman, P.I., Karlson, R. and Skalak, R. (1980) Three dimensional observations of red blood cell deformation in capillaries. Blood Cells 6: 231–237.Google Scholar
- Baertschi, A.J., Adams, J.M. and Sullivan, M. (1988) Acute hypoxia stimulate atrialnatriuretic factor secretion in vivo. Am. J. Physiol. 255: H295–H300.Google Scholar
- Bennett, V. (1989) The spectrin-actin junction of erythrocyte membrane skeletons. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 988: 107–121.Google Scholar
- Bennett, V. (1990) Spectrin-based membrane skeleton: a multipotential adaptor between plasma membrane and cytoplasm. Physiol. Rev. 70: 1029–1065.Google Scholar
- Brenner, B.M., Ballerman, B.J., Gunning, M.E. and Ziedel, M.L. (1990) Diverse biological actions of atrial natriuretic peptide. Physiol. Rev. 70: 665–699.Google Scholar
- Flatman, P.W., (1980) The effect of buffer composition and deoxygenation on the concentration of ionized Magnesium inside human red blood cells. J. Physiol. 300: 19–30.Google Scholar
- Flatman, P.W., (1988) The control of red cell magnesium. Magnesium. Res 1: 5–11.Google Scholar
- Fowler, V.M. and Bennett, V. (1984) Erythrocyte membrane tropomyosin: purification and properties. J. Biol. Chem. 259: 5978–5989.Google Scholar
- Gaehtgens, P., Duhssen, C. and Albrecht, K.H., (1980) Motion, deformation and interaction of blood cells and plasma during flow through narrow capillary tubes. Blood cells 6: 799–812.Google Scholar
- Gupta, R.K., Benovic, J.L. and Rose, Z.B. (1978) The determination of the free Magnesium level in human red blood cell by 31NMR. J. Biol. Chem. 253: 6172–6176.Google Scholar
- Petersen, A., Kristensen, S.R., Jacobsen, K.P. and Horder, M. (1990) 31P-NMR measurements of ATP, ADP, 2,3-diphosphoglycerate and Mg2+ in human erythrocytes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1035: 165–174.Google Scholar
- Zeman, K., Engelhart and Sackman, E. (1990) Bending undulations and elasticity of erythrocyte membrane: effect of cell shape and membrane organization. Eur. Biophys. J. 18: 203–219.Google Scholar