Regulation of the Expression of Genes Coding for Proline-Rich Proteins in Maize
Plant proline-rich proteins can be classified into several families depending on its function or structure (José and Puigdomènech, 1993). One of these families are the hydroxyproline-rich glycoproteins (HRGPs) where a large proportion of prolines are hydroxylated post-translationally and contain a variable proportion of glycosylated residues. HRGPs are one of the main extractable components of cell walls from both dicotyledonous (where they are often called extensins) and monocotyledonous species. Another group of genes coding for proline-rich proteins (PRPs) have been better characterized in soybean (Hong et al., 1987). Immunological methods have shown that maize HRGPs (Ludevid et al., 1990) and soybean PRPs (Ye et al., 1991) are located in the cell wall. In general, all these proteins are supposed to have a structural role in the wall (Cassab and Varner, 1988). Other proteins containing domains rich in proline, such as maize HyPRP, have also been described (José and Puigdomènech, 1992) but nothing is yet known about their location in the cell.
KeywordsImmature Embryo Cell Wall Protein Floral Meristem Fungal Elicitor Lateral Root Initiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- José, M., Puigdomènech P., 1993: Structure and expression of genes coding for structural proteins of the plant cell wall. New Phytol. 124, In press.Google Scholar
- Kuchareck, T.A., Kommedahl, T.: Kernel infection and corn stalk and rot caused by F. moniliforme. Phytopathology 56: 983 – 984, 1966.Google Scholar
- Raz, R., José, M., Moya, A., Martínez-Izquierdo, J.A., Puigdomènech, P., 1992: Different mechanisms generating sequence variablility are revealed in distinct regions of the hidroxyproline-rich glycoprotein gene from maize and related species. Mol. Gen. Genet. 233: 252–259.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stiefel, V., Ruíz-Avila, L., Raz, R., Vallés, M.P., Gómez, J., Pagés, M., Martínez-Izquierdo, J.A., Ludevid, M.D., Langdale, J.A., Nelson, T., Puigdomènech, P., 1990: Expression of a maize cell wall hydroxyproline-rich glycoprotein gene in early leaf and root vascular differentiation. Plant Cell 2: 785–793.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tagu, D., Walker, N., Ruiz-Avila, L., Burgess, S., Martínez-Izquierdo, J.A., Leguay, J.-J., Netter, P., Puigdomènech, P., 1992: Expression of a maize HRGP gene by wounding and ethylene. Functional analysis of the promoter by transient expression using microprojectile bombardment. Plant Mol. Biol. 20: 529–538.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar