Large Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flow in Concentric Annuli with a Thin Inner Rod
The large eddy simulations are performed for annular flows with radius ratios of 0.1,0.04, and 0.02. Comparison with the existing experimental data of Rehme revealed that the asymmetrical velocity field and the turbulence quantities are well reproduced by the present calculations. The production rate of turbulence energy is suppressed in the inner wall region; and thus the decrease in the peak of the turbulence energy is observed. The turbulence structures in the inner wall region are visualized by using computer graphics. The high and low speed streaks, which exist in the channel flow, are also observed over the surface of an inner rod. In the case of a thick rod, a lateral pairing of the ejection and the sweep is observed over an inner rod. In the case of a thin rod, a wake-like low pressure region is caused by a high speed streak on the opposite side of the high pressure region.
KeywordsVortex Anisotropy Vorticity Hongo
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hudina, M. (1979): “Prediction of displacement between the maximum velocity and zero shear position in asymmetric annular flows”, SL-R/27.Google Scholar
- Kasagi, N., Sumitani, Y., Suzuki, Y., Iida, O. (1993): “On the kinematics of the vortical structure in near wall turbulence”, 3rd World Conference. on Experimental Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Honolulu, pp. 235–242.Google Scholar
- Kawamura, H. (1972): “Heat transfer of fully developed in concentric annulus”, Proc. 9th National Heat Transfer Symp. of Japan, C207, pp. 273–276.Google Scholar
- Kawamura, H. (1979): “Analysis of turbulent annular flow using a phenomenological turbulence model”, Proc. 16th National Heat Transfer Symp. of Japan, Al 10, pp. 28–30.Google Scholar
- Kawamura, H., Satake, S. (1993): “Large eddy simulation of turbulent flow in an annular tube”, Proc. Joint International Conference on Mathematical Methods and Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications, Karlsruhe, pp. 248–259.Google Scholar
- Neves, J.C., Moin, P., Moser, R.D. (1991): “Numerical study of axial turbulent flow over long cylinder”, Proc. 8th Symp. Turbulent Shear Flows, Munich, pp. 5.2.1–5. 2. 6.Google Scholar
- Unger, F., Friedrich, R. (1991): “A Large eddy simulation of fully-developed turbulent pipe flow”, Proc. 8th Symp. Turbulent Shear Flows, Munich, pp. 19.3.1–19. 3. 6.Google Scholar
- Vilemas, J., Cesna, B., Survila, V. (1987): “Heat transfer in gas-cooled annular channels”, A. Zukauskas, eds., p. 58, Springer Verlag.Google Scholar