Fluorescence Studies of Polymer Diffusion Across Interface
We investigate the influence of surface properties on the kinetics of polymer diffusion across interfaces of films prepared from several different types of poly(n-butyl methacrylate) [PBMA] core-shell latex particles. A series of core-shell PBMA microspheres containing different amounts of methacrylic acid groups in their shell were prepared by three- stage emulsion polymerization. PBMA latex with poly(ethylene oxide) [PEO] chains at the surface was prepared by dispersion copolymerization of BMA with PEO macromonomer. Each pair of latex, one labeled with a donor (phenanthrene), the other, with an acceptor (anthracene), allows us to use direct non-radiative energy transfer experiments to follow polymer interdiffusion in their latex films. The interdiffusion was found to be significantly retarded but not suppressed, either by the presence of the acid groups in the latex shell, or by their salts. Neutralization of the acid groups by Ba2+ had a larger effect than Na+ on slowing down the polymer diffusion. On the other hand, PEO chains at the latex surface was found to promote interdiffusion in the early stages of film formation and aging.
KeywordsLatex Particle Latex Film Core Polymer Polymer Diffusion Dispersion Copolymerization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Permanent address, Faculty of Engineering., Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 060 JapanGoogle Scholar
- 2.Permanent address, Department of Materials Science, Toyohashi University of Technology, 1–1 Tempaku-cho, Toyohashi 441 JapanGoogle Scholar
- 5.de Gennes PG (1980) C R Acad Sci Ser B 291: 219Google Scholar
- 6.(a) Prager S, Tirrell M (1981) J Chem Phys 75:5194 (b) Prager S, Adolf D, Tirrell M (1983) J Chem Phys 78:7015 (c) Präger S, Adolf D, Tirrell M (1986) J Chem Phys 84: 5152Google Scholar
- 7.(a) Wool RP, O’Conner KM (1981) J Appl Phys 52:5194 and 5953 (b) Kim YH, Wool RP (1983) Macromolecules 16: 1115Google Scholar
- 8.Zallen R (1983) The Physics of Amorphous Solids, Wiley-Interscience, New York, pp 54 ffGoogle Scholar
- 9.(a) Chevalier Y, Pichot C, Graillat C, Joanicot M, Wong K, Lindner P, Cabane B (1992) Colloid Polym Sci 270: 806 (b) Joanicot M, Wong K, Richard J, Maquet J, Cabane B (1993) Macromolecules 26: 3168Google Scholar
- 11.(a) Zhao CL, Wang Y, Hruska Z, Winnik MA (1990) Macromolecules 23:4082 (b) Wang Y, Winnik MA, Haley F (1992) J Coatings Technol 64(811):51. (c) Wang Y, Winnik MA (1993) J Phys Chem 97: 2507Google Scholar
- 12.Kim H-B, Wang Y, Winnik MA (1994) Polymer, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kawaguchi S, Winnik MA, Ito K manuscript in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kim H-B, Winnik MA (1994) Macromolecules, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 15.Eisenberg A (1977) Ion-Containing Polymers. Physical Chemistry and Structure, Academic Press, NYGoogle Scholar